fifty five

"We come here with no peaceful intent, but ready for battle, determined to avenge our wrongs and set our country free. Let your masters come and attack us: we are ready to meet them face to face."

***

***

The gates of Hilltop opened with loud creaking, and I carefully entered. I was almost afraid to see everyone else, not knowing how they'd react to Carl. I didn't even know if Daryl had gotten the group here safely.

The first thing I spotted as the gates closed behind me was the makeshift prison cell near the back. It was filled with a large group of people, presumably the saviours and Gregory. Son of a bitch deserves it.

It hurt to see that life went on even without Carl around. People on watch, tending to crops, just surviving. Living. On the other hand, our smaller group stood at the front and seemed worried and broken. Worried about Rick and broken about Carl.

Barbara, a woman I was never close to but helped care for Judy, handed the toddler to Rick with a sad smile. I was glad she was okay. Rick held her close as if letting her go would result in her disappearing.

Enid came up to me cautiously, as if afraid I was going to break. She looked at me and was heartbroken as well. Carl was her friend. I shook my head as if confirming his death, and she rushed me into a hug, keeping me from falling apart. I held her tightly, and tears left my eyes. I wasn't able to keep them in.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered as she pulled away and looked into my eyes.

I gave her a nod in thanks, and Maggie came up beside her, pulling me into a hug. Everyone knew, and they seemed worried about me; they treated me as if I was a porcelain doll.

"If you ever need to talk," Maggie trailed off with a warm smile. I couldn't work up the courage to speak, so I nodded and hugged Daryl before heading up to the large building.

***

Enid and Michonne sat with me on the steps, and I looked down at my necklace, the ring newly added to it. Enid noticed it and put the pieces together, struggling to keep a gasp in. She placed her hand on top of mine, and it reminded me of the polaroids stashed in my pocket along with the letters he wrote to Enid and me.

I reached into my jean pocket and showed them the polaroids, also handing the letter to Enid. I wasn't ready to read mine yet.

Michonne and Enid silently smiled at the pictures, and Enid seemed surprised to receive a letter from Carl. I was curious to read what it said but didn't invade her privacy.

"You can read it," she told me before starting to read it herself.

"Okay," I nodded, finally able to speak.