57. The Break Up

End of November
Ralph's POV

I walked into CCPD, getting weird looks from everyone around me. I walked past them and to Captain Singh's office. He was at his desk, then he looked up at me and told me to come in. I took a seat across from him at his desk. I had turned in the forms he had given me the other day and this was my first day back. 

"What do you need me to do, chief?" I asked, excitedly. He gave me a look. "Not a fan of chief?" He kept looking at me with a straight face. "Guess not."

"Ralph everything that you need to do for today is in your office. The same one you had before." Captain Singh told me. I nodded then thanked him again for the second chance, then headed for my office. 

I ignored all stares or mumbles from other people on my way there. When I arrived, I went inside to find a huge stack of paperwork on my desk. I sighed. I should have guessed that I wouldn't get back into the field for a while. I sat down and started on the paperwork that would keep me busy for the next week. 

Alex's POV

I walked into the room where Maggie and I had been having couples therapy for the past few weeks. I sat down next to Maggie and across from the therapist. 

"So, are we any better this week?" She asked us. We stayed silent, looking away from each other. "Alright, well, Maggie, why don't we start with you this week?" 

"Well, we still haven't talked through our issues. We stopped talking at home. It's silent all throughout dinner. I've added extra work hours just to avoid the silence." Maggie said. 

"No, you added extra work hours to avoid me." I corrected her. She scoffed. 

"Maybe I wouldn't have to if you wouldn't keep telling me to go to therapy for just me because I have issues." Maggie rolled her eyes. 

"So what? You want me to go to therapy and tell them how I want kids but you refuse to hear me out or even consider it in the least?" I raised my voice. "Your the one with the issues about how you have to control this relationship. I mean, I currently hate being in this relationship like this." 

"So, what? You don't want to be together because you want kids and I don't? Your just gonna break up with me?" Maggie asked. 

"That's kind of how I feel right about now. Yeah." I said without thinking. Maggie looked at me sadly. I sighed and looked down. The therapist closed her book and kept quiet. We all knew that something in the air had changed between Maggie and I. 

Ralph's POV

It's been two hours since I started the pile of paperwork on my desk. I was only about 25% done with it. That's when Captain Singh burst through the door. 

"We've got a robbery in progress. He has hostages. Let's go!" He called. I ran after him and we drove to the scene. When we arrived, there were four guys. Three who held guns to the heads of the hostages. Another who was standing in front of them. 

We slowly got out the car. The man without a gun told us to put our guns in the cars and lock them in there. Everyone did as they were told because he didn't seem very patient. 

"Alright, here's what I want. I want a helicopter on the roof of this building. I want all of your guns. And I want the code to the vault in the bank." The man told us. Everyone looked to each other, not knowing what to do. 

I thought about going to put on my suit and come back and deal with them, but I couldn't get away without Captain Singh seeing me. 

"You have an hour and a half to get me those things. Or these people die. And so do all the people inside this building." He pointed toward the bank we were standing in front of. "I set a bomb. I have the remote right here in my hand. Try to deceive me and they'll die."