18. [Jason]

Sitting on the benches, I looked at the drawing Isabella drew for me a few months back. Two figures were holding hands with the words 'best friends forever' underneath it. At first, I was super happy she drew the drawing with me in her thoughts but when I saw the word, 'friends', the smile on my face was gone. My little princess only thought of me as a friend.

"Jay, I'm here." When I saw her, she looked super cute with her pigtails. "And I have it," she said waving her most treasured item in her hand. "Here you go." Moving my eyes from the box in her hand, to her face, I saw her smiling widely.

I smiled in return. "What did you put inside it?"

"You really can't tell?" she asked, letting out a gasp. I shook my head. "It's the ring you gave me for my seventh birthday." She opened it, and took the ring out. The exact same ring I gave her over a year ago was sitting inside.

"T-that's the thing you treasured the most?" It couldn't be. That ring was nothing special. It was just a mood ring that changed colors. I didn't think she'll like it that much.

"Of course it is, silly. Since you gave it to me, I never took it off."

I ducked my head down, knowing I was blushing bright red. "T-thanks."

"Welcome!" I smiled when I looked back up, and saw her bottom tooth missing. "What's your treasure, Jay?"

"This." I brought my hand up, and showed her the bracelet on my wrist.

She tilted her head. "The bracelet I made you?"

"Yes." Before she could ask anymore questions, I jumped up from my seat. "Come on, let's bury them!"

Her eyes lit up. "Okay!" she shouted, her pigtails bouncing with every step she took. I laughed. She must be really excited.

When she was by my side, I took her hand in mine, and we raced to the sandbox together. I took the shovel closest to me, and started digging. Making sure I didn't hit my little princess with the sand, I threw the sand in the opposite direction.

"Jay, what are you doing?"

"Digging."

"By why here?" she asked, sitting down next to me. "If we bury it by the trees, it'll work better."

I smiled goofily down at the sandbox, thinking about the day we met. "The sandbox is special. It's where we met."

"Oh, I get it now! That's a great idea, Jay."

"Thanks. Now help me dig," I told her as I gave her the other shovel.

"How much do we have to dig?"

"All the way to the bottom."

"To the bottom." She beamed, getting to work.

After digging for a bajillion years, we finally saw the bottom. Throwing the shovels aside, I took my bracelet off. "Here, hold this for a second."

She nodded, and placed it together with her ring. Reaching inside my jacket pocket, I pulled out a small white box.

"What's in that?" Isabella asked, glancing at it.

"A piece of paper," I told her as I opened up the lid. "We're putting our stuff in here."

"But why do we need the paper?"