Ch 6: Not a date.

"My dads gonna be home soon," I said, even though I had absolutely no idea what time it was. "I should go home."

"Does he not let you out?" Kels asked, standing up as I did.

"No. It's not like that," I said, started to walk off. He chased after me. "It's just that you're the new boy next door and I don't want him to get the wrong idea that I'm with you."

"Why not?" He chuckled, nudging me. "Do I embarrass you?"

"Yeah," I joked, but sounded completely serious. "I don't want people thinking I'm a groupie to a white rapper, you know?"

"Harsh," he gasped, putting a hand over his heart with a smile.

I laughed, pushing him. "Ah, I don't like you." But the truth was I was developing quite the crush. I didn't really know how to deal with it, I hadn't had a boyfriend since sophomore year.

"Yeah?" He smiled, pulling me under his arm. "Because I can't fucking stand you."

We walked back to the neighborhood and sat on my steps, talking about little things. Our conversations wandered back to his rapping. He shrugged, "I feel like I'll only ever be good in my bedroom, though."

"No, you're great," I assured him. "You're really talented." He just shrugged, so I thought of ways to badge him more confident. I asked, "What's today?"

"Friday, why?"

"Look, go home and make something perfect, okay?" I said, standing up.

"What, why?"

"Just do it." I told him, "And be ready to go out at like, eight tomorrow. Okay?"

"Are you taking me out on a date?" He smirked.

I flashed a sarcastic grin, "In your dreams."

"Aye, thanks for listening to me today," He said, pulling me into a hug.

"It was my pleasure."

"No really," He pulled back just enough to look down at me, but didn't let me out of his arms. "Thanks."

He leaned down to kiss me, but I pulled back. I footed inside and before I shut the door I smiled, "I'll see you tomorrow."

I secretly watched him out the front window. He stood there for a second, staring at the spot where I had stood on his arms. He let our a sigh, ran his hand through his hair and walked off.

I sighed, my heart fleeting and my tummy turning. I knew I was blushing, so I tried to shake it off.

I finished my chemistry outline.

That night flew by. My dad and I had Ramen, then he went to bed. I stayed up, reading and writing in my summer assignments. Before I knew it, it was almost two AM.

I crawled into bed and flipped off my light. After the night prior, I decided to close my blinds. When I grabbed the pull cord, I glanced out the window, seeing Kels by in front of the window across from mine. He was totally zoned out, with his headphones on. He was wrapping along, his arms flailing with every word he said. Apparently, rappers really don't know what to do with their hands.

.

The next day went by so slowly. I slept in until almost noon, kept myself busy cleaning the house and doing more homework, and then finally seven o'clock rolled around.

"Hey, dad," I peeked into his room. He was laying on his bed reading a mechanics magazine. "Can I go out?"

"To where?" He asked, sitting up and raising an eyebrow.

"I'm taking Kels to that sandwich shop in town," I replied. "They have an open mic tonight. It should be fun."

"Is this a date?" He asked awkwardly.

"No!" I said, a little to defensively. "I uh, just wanted to get out of the neighborhood for a little. Figured I'd show him around."

"That's nice of you," he nodded. "What time will you be home?"

"What time do you want me to be home?" I knew whatever I said, he'd say an hour earlier. "One?"

"Yeah, midnight sounds fine."

"Thanks, dad."

After showering and doing my make-up, I sloped into a pair of black jeans with holes on the knees and a white sweater. I put on converse and controlled my curly hair with gel.

Just as I finished brushing my teeth for the second time, I heard a knock at the door. Knowing it was Kels, I hollered, "Come in!"

I wiped my face, grabbed some emergency money from under my bed, (I know this was not an emergency but I rarely went out so whatever) and met him in the living room. He smiled, "You look awful."

"I was about to tell you the same thing," I replied, then shouted, "Bye, dad!"

"Make good choices!" He hollered back. "And Kelly, I have a shotgun, if you were wondering!"

"Oh, I was totally gonna ask off you did!" Kels replied. "I'll be a gentleman, sir!" That was a weird thing to hear him say.

"Shall we?" I asked, and we were out.