Page 20

*Dai's past. She is 13, 3-4 years earlier, contains suicidal thoughts/actions*

★★★

Dai

"Promise me, you'll never tell anyone?"

"Yes... Mama,"

The conversation replayed over and over in her mind, fresh as when it started. Dai shivered, fear coursing through her veins.

Her own mother did this to her. Dai flopped back onto her bed, arms spread out, displaying her wrists that had millions of scars, crisscrossing each other, some pale, others deep crimson red.

What if we told someone?

Don't be stupid!

But-

No!

Her thoughts shouted angrily at her. She flinched.

"I'm sorry... For all the troubles I caused you," she sobbed. Her mother stood at the door, arms crossed, a stern look on her delicate features. "You better be! I did not go through 15 fucking hours of labour for a damn excuse of a child!" her mother barked, glaring at her daughter. Dai was sobbing and hiccuping loudly.

"Shut up, ungrateful bitch!" Mrs Parker snapped harshly, slapping the small girl against a wall.

The sobbing stopped. Dai lied motionless.

"Get up, now!" her mother growled, kicking her daughter. Dai didn't move.

Maybe she'll just kill me, and get it over with, Dai thought bitterly. Her mother stopped. "Damn piece of shit," she muttered to herself, leaving the room. Dai craned her neck.

Gone.

Crawling over to her window, she stood shakily, grabbing a thick rope.

"Please, forgive me," she whispered, tying the rope around her neck, tears running down her plump cheeks. One last look at the moon, before she stepped forward.

Goodbye, forever...

★★★

Dai woke up, seeing her attempt at suicide had failed. She looked around, seeing a white room. "Am I dead?" she wondered aloud. A nurse walked in, dropping her supplies as she saw the girl awake.

"T-that's impossible!! You deadlined!!"

"Is my daughter awake?" Dai's father asked, his voice laced with concern. "Daddy!" she yelled happily. "Daylight! You're alive!" her father embraced her, too afraid to let go.

"Please don't ever do that again," he whispered hoarsely

"I'm sorry, Papa. But, Mama-"

"Is out of our lives now. She's in prison for life." Dai sighed.