Vachan

Vachan
(Promise)

Arnav returned home on his faithful horse, Veer who was waiting for his master. Veer neighed sensing that his master was pleasantly disturbed.

"Nothing, chap! Just a bit of magic and uh, witchcraft!"

Veer could couldn't comprehend what Arnav said. He carried on leading Arnav to Aaranya.

As Arnav reached the royal palace, his trustworthy cousins, Aman and Akash came forward to receive him.

Engulfing Arnav in a brotherly hug, Aman greeted Arnav.

"How was your hunt? Got something worthwhile for the queen? What am I even asking, of course you must have... After all, you are her favourite..."

"No, I didn't get anything for mother."

"What!" Aman and Akash looked at each other in confusion, astonished at what Arnav said.

"You heard me right..." Arnav walked ahead.

"Have you caught jungle fever or something?" Akash asked.

"Ummm sort of... if I put it in my words, I have fallen for witchcraft."

Before Akash and Aman could say anything a servant informed Arnav of the birthday celebrations that had started.

Aman and Akash were Arnav's distant cousins, both belonging to wealthy royal families of Aaranya. They were Arnav's best friends; they knew him in and out. There has never been a time when they would have been jealous of his wealth, status, excellence in every field may it be academics or warcraft and not to forget his vivid popularity in the country among the people (especially the female crowd). And why should they be jealous, he never tried to show any supremacy on them. In short, they were the truest friends he could have.

On their way to the large special hall, they met Shyam, Arnav's step elder brother, Empress Mayuri's elder son.

"I know you must have again brought some awesome gift for mother. But this time, you can't beat me Arnav. I have brought the best of the best! " Shyam said arrogantly, gesturing towards the hoards of things his servants were carrying in trays.

Arnav sighed looking at those trays.
"I don't even intend to do so, brother. It is just that Arnav Singh Raizada never learnt how to lose. And it' s not right to compare us, after all we are brothers. " He said trying to put an arm around his shoulder. He had always tried to be friends with his elder brother but Shyam never maintained a healthy relation with him.

Shyam cast away Arnav 's arm and  shook his fingers in front of him
"Step... Mind you, we are step brothers!"
Shyam huffed, puffed and stomped his foot (like the big bad wolf from the story of 3 little pigs) and went away.

Shyam had never liked Arnav since the day their father, Emperor Aaryaman had promised Arnav the throne.  Shyam felt that their father was always favouring Arnav and never him.

Why was he promised the throne if Shyam was the elder one?

********

Six years ago, the royal court of Aaranya:

"Where are my sons, minister?" the emperor asked the minister as he noticed the absence of Arnav in the royal court.

Arnav would never miss to attend court sessions, he loved to hear the people tell him his problems and help them out. He believed that he belongs to the people and if he wouldn't listen to their joys and sorrows, who would?

On the other hand, Shyam had no interest in coming to the civilian court however much Mayuri would coax him too. He believed that to be the duty of the ministers appointed.

"Your majesty, the Rajkumars have gone to play by the river."

"What! And you are telling me this now! You had informed me just yesterday that there is a man eating tiger roaming out there." Aaryaman screamed on the minister.

"Sir we had told the princes so but they were adamant..." another minister said.

"Rajkumar Arnav ki jai ho!" (May prince Arnav always emerge victorious!)

"Long live our prince!"

People came inside the court with Arnav on their shoulders.

"Arnav, son, are you fine ? What is this? A tiger?" Aaryaman looked at the caged tiger that the villagers were carrying behind Arnav.

"I am fine, father!"Arnav gave a boyish smile.

"Long live the Samrat! Maharajah, we are blessed that God has bestowed us with a prince like Rajkumar Arnav. He saved us mere villagers from this man eating tiger. He tamed the tiger with his bare hands and led him into the cage!" an enthusiastic villager spoke joining his hands in front of the emperor.

Aaryaman was shocked to know what his sixteen year old son had done. Proud with his son's valour he announced,
"Let the man eater be skinned. Get the tiger skin blessed from our deity. This tiger skin shall be yours, my son."Aaryamann said patting Arnav's back.

"If you wouldn't mind, father, I would like to reinstate this beautiful tigress to the forest beyond the hills. She was only trying to protect her cute little cubs. Aman found out that the villagers whome she had attacked and killed were hunters not stated within our law."  Arnav expressed.

"That is true sir," The old village chief came forward. "She is like an incarnation of our mother Goddess, it would be unholy to have her killed."

"I have confirmed with the villagers," The minister said."The people harmed by the tigress were illegal hunters going against rule no. 57 of the laws of the forest we made in conjunction with the forest tribes. Attacking an animal while it was tending its cubs..."

"Is a grave offense." Aryaman completed his sentence. "Anyways, inform the family members of the person killed by the tigress and inform them that they needn't pay the tax for this year. Chief sir, please make sure that this is carried out well. " He directed the village chief who bowed and agreed.

"Emperor, we suggest a better gift for this act of bravery. The prince has saved our precious subjects' lives." The old minister suggested.

"Yes yes, Maharajah!" The villagers spoke happily.

"True! Son, I grant you the heavy responsibility of this throne after my reign. May you be a worthy emperor!" Aaryaman blessed Arnav while he joined his hands.

"Long live Yuvraj Arnav!" The whole court cried out happily while Mayuri looked at everyone in the court with hatred, breaking the ivory comb she was adorning her hair with into pieces.

******

Everyone was giving the finest gifts to the Empress; from exquisite gold threaded silk sarees from the south to the finest pearls from the east coast.

From expensive oils and perfumes from the west coast to priceless gems from the northern mines and not to forget, the ivory jewellery that the Emperor specially got crafted for her from the tusks of the old elephant he had hunted a few days ago.

"What have you got for me, dear?"asked the Empress to Arnav, forwarding her hand towards him.

"Nothing but a promise mother, I promise my life to you." Arnav bent down on his knees and pressing his forehead to her palm.

Everybody cheered a
Arnav on this, every woman wanted a devoted son like him.

"That's a nice puppet you've got, ma'am." whispered the Empress' companion into her ears.

The Empress smirked looking confidently ahead towards Arnav who was now laughing with his friends.

"That I certainly do. The boy shall twirl on one click of my fingers."