chapter 48

These days - Rudimental feat. Jess Glynne, Macklemore & Dan Caplen

 Jess Glynne, Macklemore & Dan Caplen

Pain. I could feel pain.

Everything was quiet, only the faint sound of rustling from the trees could be heard. A few times, the car would make some creaky noise. Every time that would happen, my breath would hitch in anticipation.

My first attempt at trying to open my eyes failed. I tried again but when they still wouldn't open, I decided to use another one of my senses.

I started to lift one of my fingers. I blanked out the pain that shot up my arm each time I managed to move a finger. Then I moved another at the same time and soon I was able to curl my hand into a fist.

It's progress.

With more determination, I lifted my hand up to the car roof. The car roof that was currently flat on the road.

The car had tipped upside down when it finished rolling.

I finally managed to flicker my eyes open only to gasp at the sight. The whole of the front window had been smashed, the glass pieces were scattered around the car—including the inside. Smoke was coming from the engine and was flying up into the dark night sky.

Instantly, my head moved to the driver's seat where Xavier was. My head was pounding from earlier when I bashed it into the window but I didn't care. I was also aware of the dried blood on my face and my bleeding leg. Once again, I didn't care about that right now.

Xavier was still strapped into the driver's seat, with his head leaned forwards. Blood was dripping from him onto the car roof. When my eyes followed the source of it, I gasped in shock at the piece of glass sticking out of his stomach. Oh god no.

Xavier was unconscious. Every time I called his name, I received no response. I even tried to shake his shoulders but nothing happened. At least his breathing was even.

I need to get us out of here. I thought. It would be safer to get us out of here and away from the car. Then I will call the paramedics. The sooner I get it done, the sooner people will come to help Xavier.

With that plan in my head, I quickly unbuckle my seat belt, immediately falling to the ground. Letting out an anguished cry at my fall, I crawl up. My right leg, that had been bleeding, was protesting at my movements but I didn't pay any attention to it. Xavier is more important.

Trying to unbuckle Xavier was harder than I thought. His seat belt was jammed; every time I yanked on it, my efforts were not rewarded.

"Come on stupid buckle, just unlock," I mumble in frustration, yanking on the seat belt harder. Eventually, it unlocks and Xavier collapses onto me. Well, he falls on half on me. Now I have to work out a way to get us out of the car.

I rest Xavier completely on the floor and climb over him to get out. The cut on my leg was only getting worse, I hadn't realized how much I was starting to lose until now. My upper leg was beginning to feel numb from the blood loss which clearly isn't a good sign.