Chapter Eight

You followed Bucky back to the dorms, your heart heavy. It seemed no matter what, you would never be trusted. You sat down at the kitchen table, your book and pen out the open. You ripped a piece a paper off and started writing. Occasionally looking up at a well worn page you had turned it to.
    "What are you doing?" He finally asked, watching you scribble away.
    "Giving Tony what he wants." You replied, not looking up. "I know his A.I. Downloaded my files in the short time that my thumb drive was locked in. Mainly cause that's what I would of done. "
     "So then why are you writing it down?" He questioned, pulling his seat closer, looking partially over your shoulder. Your breath caught in the back of your throat.
    "Cause it won't be able to figure it out. He needs the key code still and that's what I'm giving him." You finally looked up at him, those tranquil blues eyes met yours. You gave him a sad smile. "It's the only way he'll trust me right?"
   "I'm sorry." His voice dropped, a pained look crossed his face.
   "Its late, and I've had enough drama for tonight." You told him. "Goodnight Bucky."
    "Night Y/N." You patted his hand, leaving the paper on the table. Gathering your notebook, you left the room.
    "I'm sorry too." You whispered after leaving, a heaviness settled deep your chest as you went back to your room, closing the door. You weren't lying when you said it was the key code, however it was the key code to activate the happy virus.
    You had set the thumb drive up so not only it download all of the files in whatever computer is was attached to, it also deactivated any security systems but it also up loaded a dormant copy of the happy virus . All the happy virus needed now to be activated was a few coded words. You walked over to your bag, slipping in the notebook. Sitting down on the edge of the bed, you resisted the urge to go rip up the key code.
     It was time though, you had been here long enough. That itch to move had been building up. As much as you loved spending time with Bucky, you couldn't afford to get attached to him. Not only because you knew one day Hydra would find you and kill you, but you didn't want to put him harms way.
    You dug into your bag and ripped another sheet of paper out of it. You scribbled down a note for him. You gently placed it on the nightstand before you crossed the room to the door. You took one last look before you slowly opened the door.
   Quietly you crept down the hall to the door, you pressed the handle. The door opened silently with ease, you made your way out of the building. Telling yourself that this was the right and smart move. Don't stay in same spot, never get attached. You couldn't lie to yourself, you knew a part of you was becoming attached the man with bright blue eyes and scruff.
     The wind lifted your hair as you stepped out into cool night. The moon was your only light and the stars your silent companion. You dashed out across the grass into the tree line, slipping out from sight.

      Bucky paced his room wildly, his heart pounding. He knew he should tell that he was the Winter Soldier, but the look on your face every time you had spoke about him. The mix of fear and anger, those feelings were because of him. Bucky change into a short sleeved shirt, the metal arm shined in the lamp light.
    He walked out of his room ready to confront you with the truth. His truth. You had been so open to him about your past, your life. He felt like he had been living a lie since you came to the compound. He paused at your door, hesitating, he knew you said you were going to bed.
    Bucky stared at the door, willing himself not to turn around. His heart beat rapidly in his chest, how would you react? He hoped anything besides slamming the door in his face, anything but your silence. He couldn't bare you shutting him out, tentatively he knocked on the door.
   "Y/n, I need to talk to you." He gently called out. He was greeted by the silence. He knocked again. "I don't mean to wake you, but there's some thing I need to be honest about."
   He waited, Bucky knew you were a light sleeper. Years on streets had forced you to be that way, you were always alert. He grasped the door knob, slowly opening the door.
   "Y/n?" He softly called out, the room was dark but he could see your absence in the bed. Bucky flicked on the light switch, his eyes adjusting to the bright light.
   Your bed was neatly made, obviously had not been slept in. His heart started to pound with dread, his eyes caught sight of the note on the stand. His heart leapt up in his throat as he walked over picking it up.

    Bucky, I'm sure you've noticed I'm missing. Truly I am sorry, this has nothing to do with you, I want you to know that. I can't stay, I put everyone in danger by staying here, and I have enough blood on my hands. I couldn't stand to have the blood of everyone here added to that, especially yours. Maybe in another life we could of been more, at least it feels that like that. Unfortunately this is the life I've been dealt and I hope you understand that. I hope you find peace, take care.

    He stood there, and reread the letter again, his heart sinking. He dropped the letter and turned, he stalked to his room shrugging on his leather jacket. Quickly he strode out of the building into the night and looked around. He took a deep breath, steeling himself.
    Finally his sight focused on the grass. Soft depressions of foot steps lead to the trees. He didn't give it a second thought and followed your trail.