Your New Partner

After almost running into an elderly man, Rain schlepped her exhausted body in front of the office building and summoned her last ounces of strength to keep her legs afloat. They dangled like vegan sausages soaked in water and threatened to fold. Bypassing civil servants frowned and shook their heads, but Rain's eyes focused on the finishing line—the entrance gate of the department.

Almost there.

She reached the gate where a biometric scanner analyzed her body. The scan took seconds but even that was too long.

"Welcome to Crowd Downtown, Rain Cruzada. You're expected at the SAGE main office on the third floor."

Rain exhaled and leaned against the lobby's pillars. Her eyes ignored the lines of service personal sending her bewildered glances. At least she didn't arrive late. Maybe she could sell her exhaustion as a deep commitment to the cause. Or maybe that sounded needy.

A man around his early-to-mid thirties stepped toward her with a service smile. Short-trimmed hair, chiseled face with first signs of crow's feet snaking from his eyes. His rank was moderately high, but that was a given for special advisors.

Name: Sasha Foxwell

Age: 34

Crowd score: 4.13

Occupation: Senior Special Advisor

Psycho-Passport: classified.

"Can I help you, Misser Cruzada?"

He was probably checking out her Crowd profile.

"First day at duty," Rain said while pressing air through her teeth.

The man eyed her from boot to head. "Are you training for the marathon?"

"Traffic jam thanks to Red Block demonstrators. My Fleet AI refused to speed up."

"Ah, those pesky demonstrators. What are they blabbering about this time?"

"Unaffordable rent."

"Perhaps they should sign up for Crowd."

The man scanned her clothes and dove deeper into her profile. "Well, rookie Cruzada, as a fully-fledged advisor, you will be granted permission to manually ride a tier one vehicle."

One of the many entitlements Rain looked forward to receive. But for today, she focused on making a good first impression. She recovered from her sprint and stretched her body. The man kept inspecting her like an ancient vase.

"Once you're finished sweeping the ground with your sweat, you should attend your proper division."

Wise words from an enlightened being. If it hadn't been Rain's first day, she'd rolled her eyes like a rebounder.

"My condolences though," the man called Sasha said. "I know the moron you'll have to partner up with. He's a real douche."

Rain looked left and right. Did a senior advisor just publicly denounce a colleague? That was a big no-go, but the man smiled nonetheless. "He's got a big mouth, thinks he owns the world and tells lame jokes that make everyone feel uncomfortable. A real stinker."

"Do you know him?"

"Barely. I hope it stays that way."

What a strange man. Before Rain could mutter another awkward sentence, the man blitzed across the marble ground and disappeared into one of the elevators.

Up high, she could detect a smart camera recording everyone with a faint humming sound. After five deep inhales, she marched toward the elevator and followed the way pointers of her AR vision. The path led her to the third floor, across a corner, right in front of a translucent wall. Child-sized letters glowed on the surface: "Special Advisory and Group Engagement."

SAGE, flashing Rain's irises in big, bold letters.

The auto-door gave way and welcomed her inside. Uniformed personnel worked in their translucent cubicles and benched over their terminals. Typing, whispering, buzzing. No one bothered to look up, but at least the space smelled good: waxed lime.

The way pointers guided Rain through the head office which opened its door.

"Misser Cruzada, please step in," the section chief said.

The big moment knocked.

Rain shook her arms, inhaled and focused her state.

I can do it.

I can do it.

I can freaking do it.

She spotted a man with Slavic features and chestnut hair to the right of her. Wrapped in a stylish suit, probably in his mid-thirties. He carried the calmness of a veteran, flavored with the Been There Done That attitude. He also turned out to be the same guy from the lobby.

What were the chances?

Rain hesitated for a second but quickly caught her composure. After all, the safety of her college days was over for good.

She bowed first at the section captain, then at the man from before. The chief leaned into her office chair and interlocked her fingers. "Please sit down, Misser Cruzada. I want you to introduce you to your new partner."