》mending hearts

We stayed living at the apartment for another week or so before we were ready to move back home - Seth and I discussed it a lot about whether we should just stay in our own place but for now, we need to mend bridges with our families and make up for lost time.

The first night at the house I barely slept, constantly checking on Mar in her room. The old nursery has been left the same for the baby so Esme got excited at the idea of decorating another room. Mar loves the butterflies on the walls and the big closet of close aunt Alice got for her.

She's settled in amazingly, which is a relief. The poor girl has had so much upheave and no constant in her life since we left Bali a month ago; I worried she may not cope.

But as I watch her play outside with her uncle Em I smile wide. He's her favourite person ever - and she's a daddy's girl. He's laid on the grass as she climbs all over him, covering him in dirt and grass and flowers. He doesn't mind at all.

I smile as I walk away from the window and go to the kitchen to finish her lunch. Esme has been cautious this last week, since we moved in, and has been hunting every few days. It makes me sad that I'm the reason she didn't feed and why she's now struggling with her hunger...

"Mar!" I call knowing Emmett will hear.

A few moments later I hear her giggling as he carries her in over his big shoulder. "Em down down!" She giggles and kicks her legs.

He sits her at a bar stood, sitting beside her, as she hungrily eyes the Mac and cheese. "You better eat all your lunch before we play again, booger."

She takes the bowl as soon as I hand it to her and digs in, hungry. She used to eat a lot but her appetite has grown healthily since she begun playing with her uncles and aunts all the time.

"Are you playing nicely, Emmett?" I smirk as I wipe the side.

He rolls his eyes and leans on the counter as he waits for her to finish. She finishes and reaches for him; he scoops her up and disappears back outside. I shake my head and sigh - they're inseparable.

Once I'm finished in the kitchen I go to the living room to clear up the mess there. Half way through I feel someone behind me and look over my shoulder, a smile breaking onto my face. "Hi mom."

She smiles gently. "Hi honey. Why don't you sit down for a bit and let me finish up here?"

"It's okay, I'm almost done." I giggle and stack the toys in the toy box.

"Oh please. Sit." She pushes me gently onto the couch and I sigh.

"5 minutes then." I pull my feet up under me and sit on them as I watch her take her time to clean. I rub my tummy a little. "Marliya loves the elephant teddy you got her when she was little... Still takes it to bed with her."

Esme smiles. "She does?"

I nod and smile back. "She does. Buddy the elephant is her favourite."

She smiles and sits beside me but still a few feet away, looking at her lap. "I just can't believe she's already 3."

"Me neither... I'm so sorry mom." I whisper.

She frowns and looks up at me. "What on earth for?"

I feel myself welling up. "Everything. For coming into your life and ruining it."

She pulls me into a hug, the closest she's been to me since the first day here. I gently cry into her as she rubs my back slowly. "Oh sweetheart don't say that. You're one of the best things to happen to me." She whispers.

"Me and Carlisle were sort of just... wandering. We didn't really have a purpose until you; you made us parents, grandparents. You helped me learn to love and respect mortality again. I love you so much - I don't blame you for leaving. After Kingston, we all hurt. We all left in our own way, whether it was physically or emotionally. I'm just glad you're back in my arms where I can keep you safe."

I hold her tightly and slowly calm down as she talks, hiccuping once the crying has subsided. "I-I love you."

"I love you too, angel. Please, stop worrying and stressing and apologising - you don't need to... you could tell us all you never want to see us again, hurt us beyond repair and disappear again for years but we would always take you back. Always."

I cringe. "Never. Never again will I run away without telling you."

She smiles and strokes my cheek. "Good. Now I bet you've been fussing over Marliya all morning and not yourself; are you hungry?"

I go to say no but my tummy rumbles loudly making her laugh and kiss my head before she disappears in the kitchen. I smile gently and sigh - I missed her so much.

×
×
×

"' The clock struck midnight and Cinderella ran as fast as she could from the castle, the Prince calling after her. 'Wait, princess. What is your name?' He calls but she doesn't stop, losing her shoe in her haste." Seth whispers to Marliya. They're cuddled on the couch reading the fairy tales Edward and Bella got her a few years ago. I smile as I hear her giggle every now and then and point to the small pictures.

"'Cinders raced home and to her bedroom - by this time her dress was gone, her pumpkin carriage smashed on the driveway.' Awh not her dress!" Seth fake groans.

Marliya pouts. "But she had pwetty dress dada."

"I know. Let's see if she gets it back." He says as he starts reading again.

My heart melts every time I watch them read their bedtime story or watch movies on movie night. Their bond - it's adorable. He's so gentle with her and patient; the old Seth was never like that. She's really helped him get control.

I kiss their heads as I pass, going upstairs for a bath. I strip as I wait for it to run, wrapping the towel around me; there's a gentle knock at the door. "Come in?"

Esme peaks in. "I just wondered if you needed me to wash your hair?"

I blush. "Please... I can't lay back far enough and if I do then I get stuck." I giggle small.

She chuckles and nods, closing the door as she comes in. I stand and turn the taps off, getting ready. I hear her gasp and look over, following her gaze that lands on my thigh... and my scars.

"Mom... he didn't meant to." I say slowly.

Her eyes darken. "Like he didn't mean to the first time!? Look at you, you look like a scratch post!"

I sigh and go over to her taking her hands. She doesn't look away from my thigh. "It was just after King... We both didn't want to talk about it but not talking led to him bottling it up. He didn't mean to phase - he was asleep when it happened, he had a bad dream. His hand had been on my thigh and he just... caught it twice."

She looks pissed. "What if that had been Marliya!?!"

"Mom he would never lose it with her there!" I quickly turn defensive.

"You used to say that about you! We trusted him!" Her fists clench.

"Please mom, calm down. He hasn't lost it since then I swear. It's been almost 18 months since he phased from anger that he couldn't control." I whisper, pleading with her.

She looks torn as she looks into my pleading eyes. "He hurt my baby..." She whispers.

I hug her tightly. "I know momma. But I'm okay. It's okay." I whisper and close my eyes as she embraces me back.

"If he.. if he loses it again then you are never seeing him again. Ever. And I'll make sure he pays." She growls lowly.

My heart races a little; I've never heard her like this. Esme is the cool, calm, level headed one out of the family. She hates conflict and violence, she tries to resolve it not cause it. "Deal momma. Deal..."