Chapter 12: Death Day

I've never had a boyfriend. I tell my friends that it's because I'm too busy being a celebrity and full time student, but the truth is: I've never wanted one. To be honest, I've never been interested in dating. Sure, I had a huge crush on Channing Tatum for some time, but I mean, who didn't? It's silly, but I think I believe in 'true love'...

The thing is, I've never really felt the need for a boyfriend...until now.

I smile as I gaze at Edward's sleeping face. The wonderful memories of his body against mine last night are still fresh in my mind.

I shift in his arms, and he opens his eyes sleepily. "Good morning, beautiful," he whispers, a grin spreading across his handsome face as he strokes my hair.

"Morning," I reply, snuggling closer into his chest. "How did you sleep?"

"Great," he kisses the top of my head, "I didn't have my nightmare last night."

"Really?"I gasp, "that's amazing!"

"It's all thanks to you," he places a kiss on my forehead. "For the first time since my brothers' deaths, I was able to have a peaceful night of sleep."

I press a quick kiss to his lips, "I'm glad."

Edward tightens his arms around me and whispers in my ear, "I'm guessing from last night that you want to marry me now."

I want to say yes. But the words are stuck in my throat. The wonderful haziness I had woken up in has vanished, replaced by the cloud of reality. Tomorrow, he will die. And in three days, I will return to my old life.

"Catherine?" Edward nibbles my ear, "Do you want to marry me?"

I squeeze my eyes shut. What am I doing? I don't have a future with him. For both our sakes, I have to let him go.

"No," I choke out. "I don't."

"Catherine..." Edward frowns, looking confused. "You said you wanted love in your marriage," he cups my cheek in one hand tenderly, "I think we might be able to have that."

I think so too. But I can't tell him that. The only thing I can do before I leave is to try and save his life. And let him go. "I can't, Edward," I look away and lie, "I love someone else."

"Then what was last night?"

One of the best nights of my life. "A mistake."

"Catherine," Edward grabs my shoulders, turning me to face him. "Do you really mean that?"

"Why? Did you enjoy last night that much?"

He answers me without a pause, "Yes."

If only I was the real princess Catherine. If only one of us had been born in a different time. If only he wasn't going to die... then maybe, we would have a chance at something wonderful. But we don't. I blink back tears, "Let me go, please. My heart belongs to another man."

"Is this the kind of girl you are?" He demands, releasing me and getting off the bed. "What are you doing in my bed when you love someone else? Do you just sleep with anyone?"