02 | Fistful of Fire

╔══════════════════╗

SKIN & BONES
ii. FISTFUL OF FIRE

╚══════════════════╝

THE TENSIONS WERE HIGH that fine dusk day

THE TENSIONS WERE HIGH that fine dusk day. The moon hadn't yet peeked through the puffballs of clouds, causing a dark shadow to cast itself upon the small town of Forks, Washington. The woodland creatures made not a squeak nor a chirp, their presence concealed. It seemed that even the animals were fully aware that something was out of balance in their limited world of the forest. Something was coming.

The Olympic coven stood in a staggered line in a clearing, waiting. "Are you sure this is where you saw her?" Carlisle asked the clairvoyant.

Alice nodded. "She's almost here."

According to Alice, Victoria would be returning to Forks the same weekend Bella and Edward flew out to Florida. With the coven's fastest vampire missing, they would each have to pick up what he left behind.

Funnily enough, Lorelai had yet to officially meet Victoria. The only nomad she met of the trio was Laurent. Nonetheless, Lorelai knew plenty about Victoria, and it was safe to say that she didn't like her one bit.

Silence crept up on the vampires, their anxieties bubbling. They waited for the moment Victoria would appear. It could be any second now. This had to be the night they caught Victoria. It had to.

Suddenly, Alice twitched before declaring, "On your left!"

On cue, the Cullens broke out into a sprint. Emmett paved the way with Jasper and Lorelai hot on his tail. Her size gave her the advantage of being able to weave in between closely spaced trees while the men of the coven couldn't.

Lorelai was still learning how to control her powers, which frustrated her. She wanted to use them to stop Victoria, but she just couldn't. Not yet, at least.

A flash of red-orange was all that Lorelai could see from Victoria's appearance. Her curly hair whipped around in the wind as Emmett extended his arm out to grab her. Unexpectedly, the nomad grabbed Emmett's arm and flipped him away from her.

The closer Lorelai grew to Victoria, the more outraged she became. Victoria had caused so much trouble in Lorelai's life. Between trying to kill Bella and being the reason Lorelai had left Seattle so abruptly, all she wanted to do was to send Victoria far, far away.

Perhaps that was what manipulated Victoria's thoughts into leaping across the treaty line, which was the stretch of an equivalent to "far, far away."

"Wait," Carlisle beckoned as they reached the edge of the treaty line all at once. "She's on their territory." The Cullens observed her for half of a millisecond before dashing along the treaty line.