Your Weakness (2006 words)

Chat leaps out of his bedroom window. The lights of the city bright against the dark blue night sky.

Suddenly there's a blip on his communicator from Ladybug. He pauses on a rooftop to read the message: "'Change of meeting place. Come to my location'?" He reads aloud, his eyebrows furrowing together with the sudden change of the usual place where they meet up before patrols. He hurries off to her GPS location, worried something's wrong.

It has only been a week after their encounter with the Glaciator and things have still been a little awkward between him and Ladybug despite trying to leave that night on good terms. Their relationship was changed.

When he starts to near the specified location, he gets an eerie feeling of Deja vu. He launches himself over the last building, landing exactly where he was a week ago, on a candle lit rooftop. Except this time, it wasn't him that lit them.

"Surprise,"

Chat's head whips around to see Ladybug standing sheepishly behind him, holding a single red rose. "Ladybug-"

"I'm sorry." She says quickly, cutting him off.

"Sorry for what?" He asks, but judging by the candles around him, he gets a sneaking feeling of what she means.

She walks towards him solemnly, holding the rose in her hands in front of her. "I'm sorry."

He shakes his head, trying to smile, "No, I, I don't need your-"

"It's not that." She cuts him off again, "I don't pity you." She looks down at the rose, gently stroking the petals with her thumb. "I was thinking of how I could make this right between us. I missed the way we used to be. And I realized how much regret and sadness I felt when wondering how I could make it up to you;" she holds out the rose to him, "you are much more than a friend to me. And I don't want things to go back to the way they used to be. The only way to make this right is to admit to myself..." a single tear falls from her eye as she looks up at him, "that I love you."

Chat catches himself not breathing. Taking a shaky breath, he wipes away the tear on her cheek with his finger, "I-I don't know what to say."

"Say that you still love me, despite everything I've put you through" she presses, a hint of distress in her voice.

He cracks an incredulous smile, "I would never stop loving you, you should know that"

She tucks the rose into her hair and leans in and gives him a sudden peck on the lips, seemingly catching them both off guard. Before Chat has a moment to comprehend, Ladybug moves in more assertively, sure of her movements, wrapping her arms around his neck as she kisses him gently.

His body gives in, returning the kiss and pulling her close. "I love you, princess." He whispers, feeling the wetness of tears streaming down her face.

"I love you, Chat N-oir." Her voice breaking. He notices her breathing become ragged, as if she were sobbing uncontrollably.

Something inside him shatters. "S-Stop this." He pushes her away, taking in her forced smile.

"What's wrong, Chat?" She asks, her smile still rigid.

That's when he sees it. Maybe it was there the whole time but he unconsciously chose to ignore it. But it was clear now, a purple halo around her eyes. Hawkmoth.

"N-nothing, Ladybug" he says, struggling to keep his tone steady as the moment comes crashing in on him.

She shrugs this off. "Well, then there was something else I wanted to talk to you about, anyway." She starts to reach for her earrings.