Chapter Thirty

Marina opened a door off the main foyer - a door May had assumed opened to a coat closet - to reveal an unlit set of stairs. She gestured for the girls to follow as she descended into the darkness. A chill chased its way up May's body as the air grew cooler and she faltered when the light from upstairs was no longer bright enough to illuminate what was ahead of her. All she could see was a light sprinkling of tiny green, blue, and orange lights glowing like faint stars against the blackness.

"Lights, please," Marina spoke from somewhere in the void. On command the room brightened - gradually like a time-lapsed sunrise - leaving May and Em wide-eyed and gaping.

The basement was home to a large and open-concept workshop. May marvelled at an assortment of half-finished projects surrounded by halos of tools and schematics, blank monitors that reflected her own astonished expression, and juxtaposing workbenches - one pristine and the other cluttered. Marina slumped into a worn office chair at the latter and sighed. Em motioned to a high stool, offering it to May while she leaned back against a massive tool cabinet and folded her arms across her chest.

"This place is cool," May remarked, eyes still scanning the room and its many impressive details. "Is all this work yours?"

Marina nodded. "Some of the messes my own pet projects and research but I also work on contract commissions from clients."

"What kind of work do you do exactly?" May eyed what looked to be a dismantled computer on a table to her left. Wires and circuitry spilled from the casing like the entrails of a slain prey animal.

"The specifics are private," Marina explained, an air of routine to her answer. "But I create advanced security programs and surveillance systems for corporate clients. I also like to dabble in A.I. and robotics when I have spare time."

May blinked. "That barely made sense to me." Her eyes flicked to the row of well-read reference books lining a shelf behind Marina's workstation, landing on a sizeable volume about advanced security systems. She pointed at it. "Do you mind?"

Marina swiveled to see what May was pointing at and looked back at her with a raised eyebrow and a laugh. "Uh, why?"

Em laughed too, giving May's shoulder a squeeze. "The woman has an insatiable brain."

At this, May flushed. "I'm just curious! Your work sounds really impressive - you must be brilliant."

"Well, before you follow that train any further down the track, no: I'm not a Wish."

Marina's words - her completely unsolicited response to a question May had only just begun to entertain - took both women by surprise. They shared an uneasy glance.

Em cleared her throat. "Good to know."

"This brilliance was earned the old fashioned way," Marina said, waving a hand at the room around them. She reached up and slid the book from the shelf, handing it to May. "A spark of passion coupled with years of hard work and diligent study."

She paused for a moment, taking May and Em in one at a time. "I'm also smart enough to know that if you two are tangled up with my brother and his friends, then you probably know a thing or two about the Wishes and the Loyals."

May swallowed; her mouth was suddenly extremely dry. Em replied with a curt nod.

"That's why I sent Marcus and Myles away," Marina continued. "It's also why I don't speak to Connor very often. His cause is noble but I need to keep my family safe. The Loyals are capable of some pretty terrible things." Her eyes dropped to her hands, which she had folded tightly in her lap.

"That's fair," Em agreed. "We appreciate what you're doing for us."

"I can't imagine this is easy for you," May said.