James Potter

Hermione felt very alone at dinner that evening. Everyone was staring at her, after Dumbledore introduced her as the new exchange student. He hadn't specified where from and she hadn't had time to think up a story so she just said she'd rather not talk about it yet. She took the opportunity to look around for people she knew or had heard of. She was shocked to find the red hair and green eyes she knew so well, the girl who could only be Lily Evans, sitting by herself at the Ravenclaw table, absorbed in some textbook. Wasn't she supposed to be a Gryffindor, and Head Girl at that? The Head Girl badge was on someone she did not recognize at all, a Slytherin, actually. The Head Boy was easy to spot. She would know that hair anywhere. There was something about James Potter that held her gaze. And it wasn't entirely his resemblance to Harry. Something about him attracted her. She watched as he laughed at something a young man who could only be Sirius Black had said. She recognized Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew easily enough, the Marauders sat together at the Gryffindor table, as she assumed they always did. She couldn't help but glare subtly at Wormtail, knowing he would be the reason her best friend would grow up without parents.

Finally dinner ended and she returned to her new rooms. She slipped into the pajamas a house-elf had clearly left for her, frowning and muttering about restarting S.P.E.W. in the morning. She collapsed into bed and was asleep before her head hit the pillow.

Hermione was startled awake the next morning by a loud pop. She looked over to find Hatty the House-elf staring at her with big eyes.

"Hatty is to be informing Missy Granger that Breakfast be in half an hour and she is to go to the library in an hour."

"Thank you, Hatty." Hermione murmured. The house-elf nodded and disappeared. Hermione quickly got out of bed and took shower. She then put on the Gryffindor robes that had been provided for her and the warm cloak that Hatty had given her the night before.

Breakfast was peaceful by comparison to dinner. She was one of the first there and finished her meal quickly, trying to get to the library as soon as possible. The library was one of the few places she always felt safe. The books never lied or manipulated. Books were always there, when no one else was. Hermione was so absorbed in her thoughts she didn't notice when she went barreling into someone in front of the library doors. The boy, or young man, really, had and armful of books, which went tumbling to the floor. Hermione gasped and dropped down to help him gather them up.

"I am so so sorry!" She exclaimed as she handed him a few of them and finally got a look at his face. She blushed deep red when she saw that it was James Potter. He blinked at her with his hazel eyes and she stood up quickly.

"It's alright, don't worry about it." He assured her. "You must be Hermione Granger, the exchange student Professor Dumbledore told me about." He added, holding the library door open for her, despite the books in his hands.

"Y-yes. I'm Hermione. You must be the Head Boy. Potter, right?" She asked as she followed him inside. He grinned at her.

"James Potter, at your service." He said, putting his books on the table then giving a flourishing bow. Hermione giggled slightly and blushed. James chuckled and grinned at her. Before anything else could be said Professor McGonagall swept into the room.

"Ah good, you are both here." She began, "We can begin promptly with the Transfiguration placement test. When it is finished, each professor will come in one by one and give their placement tests. Once all are finished, the staff will meet to discuss which classes to place you in. You will both be exempt from classes tomorrow so that Mr Potter can show you around." She continued, "Mr Potter will instruct you on our rules and customs here at Hogwarts." She gave a sharp glance to James then, "If I find out you have tried to trick Miss Granger in anyway or have told her some stupid rule that does not exist, you will be spending the rest of the year in detention with me. Is that clear, Mr Potter?" She added. He nodded.

"Yes, Professor."

"Good. Now, on to the test." McGonagall said.

The test went well. Very well. McGonagall was very impressed by the end.

"Miss Granger, you did extraordinarily well. I do not think there is any more I could teach you. You could take you NEWT right now and pass with flying colours." The professor told her, awe clear in her voice. "But I think it would be best if you joined my seventh year class. Mr Potter can let you know how far we've gotten, as he is one of the top in the class." She went on.

"Thank you, Professor."

"You'll receive your class schedule tomorrow. The rest of your professors will be in here today to administer their tests. I will see you on Monday in class, Miss Granger, Mr Potter." She finished and left. As she opened the door to leave, Professor Slughorn waddled in.

"Good Morning! You must be Miss Granger!" He greeted jovially. Hermione managed a strained smile. She had never much liked Professor Slughorn. "I'm Professor Slughorn. It's nice to meet you! Shall we get started?" He continued. The test went very well as well.

"I am very impressed, Miss Granger. You will definitely have a place in my Seventh year class. And I'd like to invite you to have tea with me and few fellow students tomorrow evening." He informed her as he left. Hermione just nodded. She had no desire to join the Slug Club again, but it might be a good idea anyway.

The rest of the tests went just as well, each teacher incredibly impressed with her.

"That was amazing, Granger. You are crazy smart." James said, when the tests were finished.

"I just study a lot, that's all." Hermione said with a shrug.

"Clearly," James said with a chuckle, "Well, if you are done studying for a while, there's a Quidditch Game this afternoon. Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff. I'm the Captain and a Chaser." He added.

"I'd like that." Hermione said.