Chapter 5

The horned one felt feeling returning to its body. The stiff limbs softened and allowed it to flop to the floor. Its sight were blurred and had diminished its ability to distinguish color. Its horns lost its remaining iridescent sheen. The horned one panted, trying to inhale as much energy it can get from the air.

The knife-bearing mouse held out its hand, as if for honor. It appeared to have been energized and rejuvenated. Its tired looking eyes had gained more life as it glowed more brightly, now leaking with raw energy.

The knife-bearing one faced a wall and raised a hand. The energy that was drawn from the horned one was brought into its hand. Its hand soon glowed as energy spilled from it and into the wall. The walled began to warp and bend as if it was made of clay by the will of magical mouse, and a large hole that led to a dark and wet swamp was created on the wall.

The mice jumped through the escape route. They were ecstatic of their freedom from the rats; some even dropped and kissed the mud. The knife-bearing one stayed behind to keep open the portal. It beckoned the remaining mice to pass through the portal while it was wide open.

When the last mouse had left the dungeon, the knife-bearing one started to turn for the portal, but before it entered it, it turned around and beckoned the horned one to come through with it.

The horned one tried to stand, but its body was weakened and tired, and flopped back to the floor. It tried to stand again with more success. The horned one ambled toward the portal in a snail's pace.

As the horned one neared the knife-bearing mouse, the sound of steps going down the stairs were soon heard. The knife-bearing mouse motioned to quicken the horned one's steps but its steps continued to be slow. As the steps came closer and closer, the more and more the mouse panicked and soon ran toward the horned one, and threw the horned one through the large hole.

It was, however, already too late. The rats had arrived and witnessed the portal and the knife-bearing one. The rats raised their weapons and began to charge toward the portal.

The knife-bearing one jumped through the portal, and closed it behind. The knife-bearing one was panting, and beckoned the horned one to follow it with haste. The horned one followed it with the utmost haste it could muster deeper into the swamp.

The swamp was very wet and muddy. Leafless silver trees surrounded them like lifeless ghosts. Behind them was the city of gold with its twisting spires and insurmountable appearance. The deep mud they're trudging through was deep and slowed their movement very much. None of the other escaped mice seemed to have come to view.

The horned one's short stature had led its limbs to be buried under the mud. It required so much effort just to move in mere steps that the horned soon collapsed and sunk into the mud. Air bubbled out the horned one's lungs, but it didn't feel like needing air anytime soon. In fact, the horned one felt energized, like it was being fed by the mud.

The horned one felt something tug it out of the mud. It was the knife-bearing mouse. Once it was out of the mud, the mouse began dragging the horned one deeper into the swamp.

Suddenly, from high above behind them, an inhuman screech was heard. They looked behind, and they saw a golden raptor flying swiftly getting nearer. On its back was a rat wizard in golden garb with eyes glowing golden.

As it neared, the rat spread out its arms and the raptor deconstructed into gold roots tipped with spear points. The tips then rushed towards the mouse and the lizard.

The knife-bearing one pushed the horned one, and spread out its arms. Its eyes soon glowed a blast of bright blue, and the trees of the swamp seemed to bend to its will. The trees twisted and held back the golden roots.

The knife-bearing mouse shouted a loud squeak, telling the horned one to run, to escape. The horned one turned tail and started running with all the swiftness it could cast out through the mud. Soon enough, the horned soon left the sights of the knife-bearing one.