- vingt-huit -

"It just isn't fair, Papa!" said Anita, as they flew around tossing a quaffle. Albus, Cepheus, and James, were in the air with them, but they were only hitting a bludger back and forth. Teddy was visiting for the weekend and he was down in the Manor's garden, helping Draco feed Eltanin, the crup. Lyra hadn't come out of her room since they heard the news.

"I know it isn't fair, lovely, but-" Harry caught a particularly powerful pass and threw it back lighter with a spin. She caught the ball with both hands, floating stationary on her broom. Her hands were shaking as she replied.

"Our birthday is 4 months away! We're still going to be 11 within this year!" She pushed the ball away forcefully and Harry caught it, but he saw the tears threatening to spill from her eyes and flew over to pull her into a hug even as they each sat on their respective brooms. "It's just not fair."

"Life isn't fair, sometimes. That means once you get there, you have to show them that you and Lyra are the best sodding wizards this side of Merlin since Dumbledore. Show them what they were missing. They're trying to hold you back, you have to prove them wrong. Show them that they're only doing you a favor."

"How am I supposed to do that?"

"Just do your best, that's all any of us can ask for."

"I love you, Papa," she whispers into the fabric of his cloak and he rubs her back before kissing the top of her head.

"I love you too, Anita."

--:--

"You have to come out at some point, dear." Draco stood outside of Lyra's door. The freckled girl hadn't come out of her room and it'd been days. No one had even talked to her other than Anita who told them that her sister just didn't want to be bothered. In Draco's opinion she had moped enough and he wasn't going to let her miss breakfast again.

"My class is not exciting enough for you to be moping this much because you have to wait another year for it."

"I spent all summer practicing on my potion kit, though," she said petulantly from where she is sitting on top of her bed's canopy, once Draco forces himself into the room. "Now we have to go back to Scamander Academy and learn more theoretical magic."

"All magic is theoretical. Being at Hogwarts won't change that. Now, how the bloody hell," Draco said ignoring her distress, "did you manage to get on the roof of the bed?"

"Forced a cushioning charm at the curtains and then climbed up the wall," said Lyra tiredly, as if it were the easiest thing in the world. Draco put his hands to his temples and closed his eyes.

"You shouldn't even know how to do a cushioning charm, let alone be able to do one without a wand."

"Aunt Luna said that wands are just funnels for magical energy, but magic itself is natural and if we can control it properly we may never need a wand. Wands are practice tools to learn how to-"

"Luna isn't always the best person to listen to when it comes to-"

"But Aunt Hermione agreed with her. She said that lots of native magic cultures don't use wands at all after the age of five and others never use wands at all."

"I don't think I can do this right now. I haven't even had my coffee yet. Off the canopy, you're coming to breakfast."

"I'm not hungry," she said not looking at him.

"Then you can just mope at the table. Get down now."

His tone left no room for argument or discussion and she made her way back over to the wall beside her bed and climbed down before following him out of her room and into the dinning area where everyone was sitting back in their pajamas, waiting on them.