Chapter 3| Fireflies.

Make sure to cheak out my other book, Bad blood; a darker twist of teen drama.

Millie

The cold Atlantic breeze ruffles through the thin material of my dress, sending my body into slight shivers. However, the euphoric sensation felt like coming up for breath after drowning from the noise of Caleb Mclaughlin's chaotic party.

"Come on, I'll show you somewhere." Jacob gestures to a small, very dim lit narrow lane, the only illumination coming from the dull street lamps.

I hesitate. My surroundings begin to look a lot like the beginning of a horror movie, like Jeepers Creepers when the stupid teenagers and their stupid curiosity decide to check out somewhere that clearly screams do not enter.

Jacob notices my questioning looks and chuckles in response. "I'm Jacob Sartorius. I couldn't harm a fly." a hint of amusement in his tone.

It wasn't so much that I was afraid of Jacob but rather my perfectly rational fear of the dark.

I quickly scurry along to his side. "It's not you," I reassure, "I'm just not a big fan of the dark."

My gaze turns to the row of tall, lifeless trees Jacob and I walk between and the stormy sky that almost seems to stare at me with a glare. Yep, definitely horror like.

Jacob clearly notices my unease. "Don't worry . . I'll protect you if there's any Creepers around."

My mood slightly lightens at the reference. "You've seen Jeepers Creepers!" I exclaim.

Jacob chuckles lowly in response. "I wouldn't be a normal member of society if I didn't."

"It's my favourite movie!"

Jacob glances at me momentarily with a faint smile on his lips. "I'll note that."

I smile back widely, feeling my nerves simmer at his comforting presence. We walk for a few more minutes in silence, taking in our surroundings—as creepy as they may be.

"Why are we here?"

"I used to love coming here when I was younger." Jacob reveals.

I raise a brow. "Seriously?— I would've taken you for a more . . LA style."

Jacob chuckles. "No I'm from Virgina, I just live in LA." he explains.

"Ah."

"What about you?" Jacob asks.

"Well i'm British—"

"Really?" Jacob cuts in sarcastically, and I send him a side eye that he laughs at.

"Is it that obvious?" I ask quietly.

Jacob nods in amusement. "Don't worry— I find it cute."

"My accent?" I ask curiously.

"That, and you in general."

I feel my cheeks heat at the compliment, and I avert my gaze to the ground as to conceal my blushing face.

"But I live in New York." I reveal after a moment.

I feel Jacob watch me carefully, but I don't meet his eye. "How long are you in Atlanta for?"

"A few more months."

Jacob nods and he leads us through a corner. My eyes widen in surprise as I take in our new surroundings. Oh my god— it's beautiful.

Laying before us is a flowing stream illuminated by the silver moonlight, two fallen trees crossing over it making it almost into a kind of bridge. It felt like something out of a fairytale book, and beautiful dots of orange scatter our surroundings that I soon realise are fireflies.