Faceless Vagrants (4)

Faceless and grey, who are they?

Well it matters not, we have our institutions.

In foul times like this, those not graced by the colours of the Euralian Kingdom is to be deemed hostile. With our patrol route being so close to the front lines, I am most convinced these grey beings were sent by the wretched invaders, the Yhunian Federation.

They are moving like they were trying to hide their forms, such odd behavior is most telling. My beloved patrol group wear expressions of worry and uneasiness, even as they hid behind a thicket.

I flash a noble smile to still the hearts of everyone, giving the order to cloak using our energy with but a sharp whisper.

Bestowed under the veil utmost secrecy, everyone hastily close in on the strange grey beings. There are eight of them, and each and everyone of them were grasping weapons fashioned in the distant likeness of a crossbow.

I clutch my beloved scepter tighter with both hands, channeling my inner energy reserves into it as the cloaking spell begins to fade away. The shouts began as did the fiery of unbridled combat. 

I couldn't remember much after I gave the order to attack, but one thing was clear....

We lost, badly.

It took the deaths of two of my comrades before I realize we are not fighting against Yhunian warriors or mages. From the thunder like cracks of their weapons to the way they fight, everything about them just screamed foreign and unknown!

"Everyone, stop attacking! We are not fighting Yhunian Forces!!" I scream over the sounds of the battle.

One of my surviving warriors bellow, "Inora, surely you jest! We are locked in battle with them, it matters not their allegiance."

While throwing my staff aside, I give him a harsh glare, "They are not Yhunian Soldiers, trust my judgement and halt your spells, they might see reason and let us live." I plead firmly, forcing down the lumps of fear.

After what seemed like an eternity, he gives a defeated sigh and drops his staff, it falls lifelessly onto the ground losing its vibrant blue glow.

A brutish kick from behind forces me onto the ground, the sickening crunch nearby makes me jerk my head towards the source of it.

A wave of cold fear washes over me as I see the state of my fellow scout, blood is leaking out of his nose at a concerning rate as he fell with a painful groan. As he hit the ground with a thud, I couldn't help but release quiet sniffles in utter helplessness.

I hear multiple footsteps behind me, each one sounding loud and ominous due to the sudden silence of the forest.

Four of those grey demons are directly behind us, that knowledge alone is enough to make my whole body quiver with fear. Had I been standing, my legs would have definitely given up on me.

My body went rigid as I notice yet another group of those things emerging from the shadows of nature. Like a predator to its prey, they prowl with unquestionable menace in their strides.

The lead member gives of a sinister aura, its featureless face seemingly staring right into my soul.

Like the rest of its kind, its head was as grey as the darkest of storms. Cold chills run up my spine upon realizing I am the recipient of its undivided attention. I feel its intense gaze through my armor even though it did not seem to have any eyes.

My instincts urge me to run, I had to bite down on my tongue to silence the unspoken fear that threatened to take root.

But nonetheless I remain defiant and surprisingly muster enough courage to stare back at the black plating that was its empty face.