Chapter Seven - Bereavement

It was getting late, night swiftly approaching as the sun began to set over the horizon. Winter had just swept down over your city, blanketing the streets with the first snow of the season. The flakes were light and fluffy, swirling in the cool wind before hitting the ground. There was only supposed to be a few inches that night, but as you stared outside you knew the forecast had been wrong. After just a few hours the snow was almost up to your porch, and showed no sign of stopping anytime soon.

Normally you wouldn't have much of a care, typically filled with excitement for the likelihood of a snow day the following morning, but this night was different. As you drew the curtains over your window you shot a glance behind you, breaking into laughter at the sight before you. Kokichi was standing in the middle of your living room, an old shirt of your fathers hanging from his torso. It was large and baggy, the bottom ending just below his knees.

"(y/n), I don't think this is going to work," he said, flapping around the long sleeves for good measure, "As funny as this would be to sleep in, I don't want to freaking suffocate myself with all this extra fabric. I think I'm just gonna borrow one of your shirts."

"Wait, wait! Before you go let me take a picture!" you exclaimed, pulling your phone out of your pocket. He grinned, striking into a pose before you could even open Snapchat. Aiming the camera at him, you pressed the circular button at the bottom, hearing the satisfying 'click' of the picture being taken, "Alright, I got it!"

"Good, send that to me," he said, leaving to change in your room. Letting out a sigh, you plopped down on the couch, propping your legs up on the end.

Yeah, this wasn't like any ordinary night. Kokichi had come over that morning before the storm hit, and by the time he was ready to leave the roads were so covered that nobody could drive in them. Your mother, on the other hand, was staying at a hotel near her work, while your father was gone on a business trip down south.

So now it was just you and Kokichi, forced into an impromptu sleepover until everything cleared the next day.

It wasn't so bad, and you certainly weren't complaining, but the thought of spending the night alone with him made your heart race. You didn't exactly know why, and in all honesty you didn't want to. Ignoring the thumping of your heartbeat, you grabbed the remote from your TV and switched it on to your favorite channel.

At the sound of the TV turning on, Kokichi came running out of your room. His appearance was a lot better than before, one of your old t-shirts fitted comfortably over his torso and your favorite pair of sweatpants on his legs. He jumped onto the couch, spreading out beside you so that your shoulders were touching, "Did it start yet!?"

"Not yet, but it will in a few minutes. Right now they're just showing highlights of the last season," you explained, pointing to the TV where various scenes flashed across the screen, "Oh, I loved that part!"

He nodded, watching for a moment before leaning his head on your shoulder. You went quiet, face going hot as you processed what happened. Hesitantly, you placed you head on top of his.

Suddenly, he gestured to the monitor where a large cast of teenagers sat on screen. His voice was dead serious as he spoke, his tone filled with that of realization, "You know, (y/n), we could do this. The next time they have auditions, we should try out."

"...Yeah," you agreed, a smile growing on your face to match his, "Yeah, we really should."

Ever since the talk you had in your room, Kokichi seemed to vanish. He promised he would come back to visit you later, but for days he was nowhere to be seen. The others didn't seem to have much of a care beyond worry for his trickery, though concern riddled your mind. He was the last person you could actually trust in this game, and now he was gone without a trace. Was this what he apologized for?