VII

CHAPTER SEVEN
hurt

"It's not a big deal!" I tried getting myself out of the grave I had just dug.

"It's 5am, Jina. How is this not a big deal?" My father yelled, his voice booming like a clap of thunder and I shuddered.

"What's going on?" My brother let out through a raspy voice, his bed hair falling over his forehead as he looked at us through squinted eyes.

"Your sister just came home." My mother said, her glare burning through me.

"Jina, I thought I told you." He sighed, coming down the steps. "Taehyung isn't-"

"Taehyung?" My mother's head snapped towards his direction right before glueing her eyes back onto me, the flame of rage in her eyes growing stronger by the second. "Yeona's boy?" She almost screams. "Is that who you've been with?"

I threw an agitated glance at Jimin, "seriously?" I hissed and my mother snaps her fingers in front of me.

"No, look at me. Answer me." She gritted her teeth as my father stood by her, waiting a response.

"Yes, I was with him but-"

"I can't believe you!" My mother went hysterical for a moment, taking me aback.

"What-what's wrong with hanging out with him? It's not like we did anything." I tried defending myself but a scoff breaks through her lips.

"He was the last one to see her," she let out and my brows furrow in confusion.

"Yeona? No-"

"She left, to go see him in the evening. He may be the reason why she's missing. I don't want you hanging out with him." She crossed her arms and I feel a tug onto my heart, not because she wanted me to end things with Taehyung but because she didn't know the full story from the day Yeona went missing.

When Yeona called me that night, she was alone in Woods Field. Even if she had met Taehyung in the evening, that was not when she went missing but I couldn't tell her that without telling her about the phone call.

Knowing my mother, she'd condemn me more than I was condemning myself for missing that call.

"Mum," Jimin spoke out as soon as he notices my silent form. "It just wouldn't make sense. If he had a part to play, don't you think they would have called him in?" He questioned, running his fingers through his tousled hair with frustration. "Don't believe these ridiculous rumours." He sighed.

So that was what Taehyung meant by the talk of the town. If people only knew about the call I had with her, the suspicion would be on me instead of him.

"Every rumour begins with a little truth." My mother was now glaring at Jimin. "Yeona was like a daughter to me." Her voice raised a little as she held her hand over her chest.

"I don't want to know what it feels like to actually lose one." My mother's voice breaking slightly as she tried fighting her tears but failed miserably the moment a tear streamed down her cheek.

I remained silent, the house going eerily quiet for a bit. "I'm going to bed." Was all I could say as I walked away.

My parents don't try to stop me as my father spoke to my mother before leaving for work.

I walked past Jimin, not wanting to meet his I told you so eyes.

I entered my room, shutting the door hastily. "What the heck?" I let out under my breath, a hand on my forehead as I thought about what just happened.