13

I stand at my locker with Alyssa yapping my ear off about this weeks upcoming game against our rival team

I stand at my locker with Alyssa yapping my ear off about this weeks upcoming game against our rival team. There's going to be a big bonfire before and she wanted to know if we were going to carpool. But I am not paying attention because walking down the hall in his awfully slow pace is Nate.

I had dreaded seeing him today considering what happened last night. I had admitted to him that I liked him in more ways than one and he pretty much shut the door in my face accusing me of pulling a fast one on him in the sake of society's horrific humor.

It stung to think that after the time we had spent together that he still thought this about me. But I needed to move on, to be closed off from this moment forward and leave him to his life.

It is just a silly crush, afterall.

He's sporting a faded denim jacket instead of his usual dark grey hoodie but he still wore one of his marvel tees, the captain america logo peeking under the rough fabric as he moved gracefully down the hall.

It was like all surroundings faded and I am stuck leaning against the red lockers watching Nate inch closer and closer. People slow down when he nears them, afraid of getting too close. It's strange how they are so standoffish when I wanted to be so close.

My wild heart beats with every tap of his walking stick. I look away when it becomes too much, the sting of denial resurfacing by seeing him again.

"I'm just going to show up in my uniform--" I start to tell Alyssa when a loud 'whack' rings through the crowded hallway. My head snaps to the sound and my stomach drops at the sights.

Nate lays sprawled out on the floor while Johnny and Danny back away laughing, fingers pointing and all. I know they tripped him and I see red. I push off the lockers before my mind can get it's bearings and storm towards Danny.

I don't stop moving though when I reach him but instead use the momentum and all the anger I feel towards him and push against his chest. "You prick!" My voice bounces off of the walls and it grows incredibly quiet. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Whoa, Kel, chill out. He tripped," Danny says, very clearly taken back by my outburst. He looks around him warily, trying to keep his cool that I can tell is being tempted by my raising my voice at him. He straightens his letterman jacket across his broad chest and meets my glare.

"Don't ever touch him again! Do you understand me?" My cheeks are flushed with anger and my breathing is coming out uneven making me dizzy. This was long coming but I don't know if I want to stop or not. I am now making a scene in front of the entire school.

All the while Nate tries desperately to get off the ground and walk away as if not to be seen. He would have done it too if he was able to find his backpack that had been knocked across the marbled floor during his fall.

I turn my back on Danny whose jaw is working solidly and whose eyes are gleaming with angry pride, to fetch Nate's bag and help him to his feet. But he embarrassingly bats me away once he is to his feet. I ignore him though.