Baking Ingredients and Broken Hearts.

Stiles helped Lydia out of the Jeep 19th century gentleman style, to Lydia's amusement, and they walked into the super market with her arm linked with his.

"So, where to first, milady?" Stiles asked with a wink. Lydia could feel the grin creep onto her face, and, though she hated to encourage his obvious crush on her, she hated to discourage it even more.

"Well, for the cookies we need butter, flour, milk, eggs, and like a metric ton of chocolate chips. If we get two tons I can make chocolate fudge too. But we will need marshmallows for that. Apart from that, we could just walk around and pick up whatever looks good." She said, enjoying the slightly dreamy look in Stiles' eyes.

Lydia snapped her fingers in front of his face. "Stiles? Wakey wakey." She said jokingly. She shook his head and looked at her. Imagining Lydia in a cute little apron with her hair done up 50's style had distracted him for a moment.

"Sorry, I was just thinking about, ahm, cookies. You had me at 'metric ton of chocolate chips'." He said, feeling heat rise to his cheeks. Lydia pursed her lips in order to not giggle at the furious blush spreading like vampire rouge across his cheeks. Whatever he had been thinking about, it wasn't cookies. But at least he had been listening.

"Baking section first, then?" She said, already walking. Since they still had their arms linked, Stiles had to follow her. Not that he minded.

He watched as Lydia ransacked the baking isle, running back and forth from the trolley, a hurricane of strawberry blonde curls and floral perfume. A final packet of baking marshmallows flew into the trolley and she was finished. "I think that's everything." She said, trying to remember the ingredients while looking at Stiles. Not really the easiest of tasks. Those eyes were Lydia-kryptonite.

"Looks like it. Feel like doing some actual shopping now?" Stiles said, grinning at how wound up she was over baking.

Lydia scowled at him. He scowled back at her. She was the one to break eye contact. Stiles grinned as she looked at the ground, biting back a smile, only to resume a neutral expression when she looked back up. "Okay, real shopping sounds good. I do need to get food that won't make me gain 9 pounds in 9 minutes." Lydia agreed. Stiles laughed. Of course she was kidding. Lydia had a perfect body.

But as they weaved in between the isles, it became more and more obvious that she wasn't kidding. In the frozen section, Lydia chose frozen berries, while Stiles chose ice cream. Dairy section was lite milk and natural strawberry yogurt for Lydia, and Stiles picked up chocolate milk and grated cheese, because "Nachos and chocolate milk are nature's most underrated combination."

This went on and on, Lydia collecting a selection of fruit, vegetables, nuts and wholegrain-gluten-free-god-knows-what-else, and Stiles choosing anything sugar filled or microwaveable.

Lydia didn't mind. He clearly worked it all off, and he had bought a few vegetables and some meat as well, so it wasn't a totally unbalanced diet.

They headed for the checkout with their arms linked again, bumping their hips against each other as they walked. The lady at the register gave them a smile. "Oh, what a beautiful young couple." She said. Lydia and Stiles looked at each other for a second. Lydia could feel her cheeks burning. Stiles looked as red as she felt. "W-we're not... I mean, I'm not.... She's....." "We aren't together." Lydia cut in. The cashier gave them a strange look. Lydia shrugged. "We're room mates." She said, annoyed.

They ignored the cashier's judging glances as they paid and left. Walking across a close-to-empty parking lot in the dark was less than ideal, so they kept tripping and having to grab the other for balance. They made it to the jeep unscathed and laughing from the drunken buzz that only comes from breathing in frigid night air with a friend. Fingers turned into icicles and cheeks pink from cold, not heat.

"So." Stiles started, climbing into the jeep after helping her in. "You like movies, right?" Lydia looked at him like he was joking. "What kind of person doesn't like movies?" She asked.

Stiles laughed. "Weird people, I guess. So how about a marathon?" Lydia squinted at him. "What kind of movies?" She asked dubiously. "Well I hate rom-coms, so basically anything but that." He nodded as he confirmed her suspicions. 

Lydia rolled her eyes. "Ugh, typical male. 'Oh no, I'm having FEELINGS. Oh no, my manliness will be compromised if anyone knows I have FEELINGS.' what is so bad about rom-coms anyway?" She huffed, put out that she wouldn't be able to watch The Notebook for the thousandth time. 

Stiles laughed. "Lydia, I don't hate rom-coms because they're emotional or whatever. I hate them because they're cheesy. The guy meets the girl, they can't be together for some reason, and they end up living happily ever after. Its the ultimate cliché." He explained.

"What's wrong with happily ever after?" Lydia protested, frowning. Stiles thought for a second before responding. "Its unrealistic to the point of cruelty. Think about it, how many couples do you know of that have achieved a genuine happy ending to their love story? There's always conflict, breakups, problems. That's natural. And the movies never show that. Its all rainbows and flowers and someone stopping their one true love from getting on that plane. Its awful." He explained.

"But that's what people do! They detach themselves from the reality of the world because they can't handle the fact that there is no fairytale ending for them. And why shouldn't they? Love sucks. The faster people realize that, the happier they will be." Lydia said, getting more and more serious with each word. They were quiet for a while. Finally Stiles broke the silence.

"What was his name?" He asked, glancing at her. "Who?" She asked, playing dumb. "The guy who broke your heart. What was his name?" Stiles said patiently. Lydia stared out onto the road. "How did you know?" She asked. Stiles snorted a laugh. "Pretty obvious, Lydia. No one gets to be as cynical about love as you are without experiencing heartbreak first hand." He explained. She was silent for the rest of the drive.

When they got back to the apartment and Stiles had parked his jeep, Lydia didn't move. Instead she took a deep breath and exhaled her words. "His name was Jackson. Okay? It was years ago, and I'm over it. I've moved on." She blurted, before jumping out of the jeep. They carried their bags up the stairs in silence.

Lydia took some time to get used to where everything went in the kitchen. Her OCD took over and she re-arranged everything she came across. Years of color coordinating class notes and alphabetizing her books had changed the way she saw disorganization.  She turned to find Stiles smirking at her. "What are you staring at?" She asked, embarrassed. "Nothing. It was just fun to watch. You're like a little girl playing house. It was cute." He said, teasing. She tried to ignore the fact that he had called her cute. "Shut up." She said, blushing.

"Make me." He said, wriggling his eyebrows. Lydia smirked and walked up to him. Without heels, she was just over a foot shorter than him. She reached up and placed a finger to his lips. His eyes grew wide with surprise. She didn't blame him. It was a strange thing for her to do.

It did, however, have the desired effect. Stiles didn't make a sound. They stood there for a minute, barely touching, just looking at each other. Then Lydia stepped back and broke the spell. "You may talk now." She said with a giggle.

He blushed faintly, just enough to be noticeable. "Sure. Cool. Okay." He managed. Lydia bit back a laugh. "You phone for pizza, I'll start baking, Okay?" She asked, already assembling ingredients. "Sure." He said, walking into his bedroom, thinking that it might be fun living with someone so unpredictable.

.......................................................

Authors note: That was a shitty last sentence but meh. Not a very long chapter but I wanted to update! If you like, please tell me! comment or vote (or both!) Thanks for reading! xx