Chap6- The Only Thing I Regret is this Phone

Luke squeezed my hand before releasing it to drive. I was curious as to how he knew how to drive in an American car. Didn’t people in England drive opposite of us?

I turned in my seat to look at his reaction as I talked. “How do you know how to drive an American car?” He laughed at my cheerful question. I guess he had been expecting something a lot harder.

“Well Aunt Beatrice is the only one who ever taught me how to drive! I’ve never drove a British car before because my family over in England can only afford one car and it belongs to my older brother. He shares a lot of stuff, but his car isn’t on the sharing list.” He seemed excited to talk about his family.

“Tell me more about your family, please. I want to learn as much as possible. Describe your parents to me?” At the mentioning of his parents, he scowled. “Or Not, if you don’t want to!” I didn’t want to ruin the cheerful atmosphere, but it seemed like that ship ha sailed as Luke raked his hand through his hair.

“No, it’s ok, mate. My dad is a barman, he , uh, his job is to serve drinks at clubs and stuff. My mum is a barrister, like she works in courtrooms. Well about 4 years ago, my dad told our family he was gay. That ended his and my mum’s marriage rather quickly. My mum decided it would be best if we stayed with our dad since “boys need a manly role model’. I think it’s because she wanted nothing to do with us.” He paused and I could see how much his mother’s abandonment really hurt him. “She sends money every month, but dad’s job doesn’t pay much so we are a little less fortunate than our Aunt. Our house has 3 rooms, leaving me to room with my brother and the twins to room together. I could describe my parents more, but I think you get the picture,” he said dropping the conversation, not adding anything else.

I turned back around in my seat and faced forward. I turned the radio down, guessing he wouldn’t get angry. My next statement was very hushed. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you.” I placed my hand on his leg in a comforting gesture. I wasn’t expecting that electric shock that seemed to surface whenever we touched. Luke felt it too as the car jerked toward the yellow line, then safely back into our lane.

 “Uh, Sorry! It’s just that every time you touch me...” Luke trailed off. “Can we talk about this?” I asked pointing my finger back and forth between him and myself. “I mean one day I was so freaking pissed at you and the next I can’t get enough of you. It’s a little confusing to say the least.” I turned, once again facing him so that I can read his reaction.

“You, Stephanie, are the first girl I’ve ever been drawn to like this. No girl in England has ever driven me crazy, or made my heart beat so wildly. Hell, I've never had a white girl affect me this way! I don't know why race is such a big deal here! In England no one would give us a second glance if we were together." He huffed out a breath before continuing. "I had my sisters play outside with me, for what, 5 days? I was trying to get your attention! Then the lawn mower finally did it.” He smiled, probably thinking back to when he caught me ogling him. “I knew you’d be watching if only out of anger. Wow! I can’t believe that was today! Today has gone by so quickly. I hope I don’t sound cheesy saying I want every day to go by this way if it means I can spend it with you.” Blush crept up his face. It was so cute to see him turn red, so I leaned forward to kiss his neck, ear, shoulder, anywhere I could reach while still in my seatbelt.

“Oh, I uh, don’t think that is a good idea.” Luke declared as the car swerved a little. “Mmhmm.” I mumbled against his neck. Being this close to him, I could smell the mixture of Axe, deodorant and soap. It was a mix of fresh and sexy. As I sniffed Luke, I wanted to be close to him. I wanted to be closer than we had gotten at the lake.