AUTHOR'S NOTE

Against a sweeping canvas of empires and kingdoms, The Call of Eternity explores themes of agency, sacrifice, immortality, betrayal, love, destiny, and enduring faith in the unknowable

Set during the opulent height of the Bronze Age, The Call of Eternity continues the story of Istara, and of Sethi, and Urhi-Teshub, the two powerful warriors who love her. One is determined to reinstate her as his queen, the other to love her until his soul is obliterated, neither of them willing to compromise. Both of them enemies.

But when the death of a king sets in motion great change, the ripples travel far - beyond even the empires of men into the realm of the gods. Within its hallowed halls, a vision reveals a dark future destined to unfold - of one, neither god nor man who is prepared to sacrifice every living thing so he might secure his long-denied bid for eternal life. 

And in the realm of men, the paths of once-gods and mortals cross, their futures inextricably entwined, destined for a journey across a dying world, to save those they love, and each other.

The Call of Eternity is the second book in the Transcendence series of historical fantasy novels. It continues the story begun in The Lost Valor of Love.    

Two major historical facts align with the narrative in The Call of Eternity. First, several years after the Battle of Kadesh, Urhi-Teshub mysteriously disappeared without a trace. There are a series of letters which passed between Hattusilis and Ramesses regarding the missing royal, with veiled accusations made by Hattusilis of foul play by Egypt. These accusations triggered a major diplomatic crisis. Despite both empires using considerable resources to find him, Urhi-Teshub - a royal - was never found again, an unthinkable thing in that era. The last historians know of him was he claimed sanctuary in Egypt where he remained for seven years before he vanished without a trace.

Second, according to ancient historians who documented the life of Alexander the Great (356-326 BCE), Alexander spent a large part of his life trying to prove he was the son of a god. First he went to Egypt and met with the priests of Atum, who told him from their divinations that Alexander was, in fact, the son of Marduk, the god of Babylon, and that Marduk was rumored to still exist, a physical being - unlike the other gods of the ancient world who had long since left the world of men.