Chapter One: How it Started

• Dedicated to Katelyn Tarras

It was a cold and windy night and darkness covered the full moon. I held my mother's hand as she practically dragged me down the alleyway while sharply talking to my father. "She should have won more than a dang certificate and money," her voice filled with disappointment, "I mean she practically came up with another way to fight cancer!" I scrambled to keep up often having to brush my brown hair out of my blue eyes to be able to see.

My father sighed, "It hasn't been tested yet and when the results come back, she will most likely be rewarded even more. It is just a theory sweetheart." I whimpered, my theories had always been perfect and I never understood why they questioned my finding. I tripped suddenly causing a sharp order from my mom to watch where I stepped and stop falling when two dark, tall shadows blocked both exits of the alley causing the three of us to stop. "What do you want," my dad called his voice firm.

One of the shadows flashed a gun and his voice was a harsh growl when he spoke, "We want the girl." I felt my mom's hand clenched on to my hand tighter and pushed me behind her.

"No," my mom shrieked her voice raising to hysterics, "Oh no, please Richard don't let them!" My father moved toward the man as though to talk to him but the sound of the gun going off echoed in my ears. I watched in horror as my father's body crumpled to the ground causing my mother to scream and stumble toward him. The gun fired once more and my mother's scream turned into a gurgle before she to crumpled to the water soaked ground. I stood there with my eyes wide open as their blood mixed with the puddles of water at my feet. I looked up at the dark shadow in front of me before stumbling back only for him to fire his weapon once more.. I gasped while doubling over watching as my own blood dripped onto the ground and mixed with my parents.

Suddenly harsh hands grabbed me and slammed me to the ground causing me to get soaked with the process. "Let her blood flow some so the police will believe that its a lost case and drop off the trail quickly," the harsh voice said.

"But boss, if she bleeds too much and dies you know the boss  guy won't be happy," a younger voice said worriedly.

"Lex Luther can kiss my boots," the harsh voice growled back, "he said we need to make it look like she was a hopeless case. If there is enough blood they won't be looking for her as long nor for her alive. It the perfect way to get what the boss wants."

"I think this enough blood boss, plus that is a police siren I hear," The younger voice weak replied weakly.

"Fine get her in the car and start putting pressure on her wound so she doesn't die," the harsh voice growled before everything faded black.

I woke up in a white room with my wrists and ankles clasped to a cold table by steal. The lights were bright and the white walls didn't help but reflected the light. I tried to pulled myself up on my elbows but held back a yelp when I felt a stabbing pain in my stomach. Suddenly the gray doors slid open and several people entered the room with white lab coats, clipboards and goggles hanging around their neck. Only one of them walked toward me while the rest lined the pale blank walls. The one that approached me had dark brown hair with dark eyes and a small smile. "Hello Carol, it seems you are awake," his voice light. I widen my eyes, wondering if he too would hurt me.

"Who... Who told you my name," my voice shaking as I asked the question.

He smiled and put his forefinger to his lips and while whispering, "It's a secret." He then put his hand against my cheek and kiss my forehead shocking me and causing me to stiffen. "It seems we need to change your bandages," He said mostly to himself, "Henry get me some medical gauze and wound cleaning items as well!" (Wham!( Henry the redhead ran into the door)). His steady hands unwrapped the blood stained bandage from my wound. Henry (aka random redhead) came in with clean gauze and medical cleaners. The dark haired man took the medical wipes (from a dizzy Henry) and cleaned off the fresh blood, gently but swiftly. He lifted my body easily and wrapped the new gauze around my stomach.

"What am I doing here," I asked.

He shook his head and simply said, "you'll find out later." This only left more questions swirling in my mind.