Sleepovers & Markets; Chapter Four

•A MIRACULOUS FANFICTION•

_______.•*+*•._______
MARINETTE'S POV

After Captain Adrien dropped me onto the deck, I stormed off to Rose's room, where Alya opened the door for me. She smiled so softly and I fell into gratitude, after being invited inside with open arms.

She guided me towards a large wooden chest similar to Rose's. It held the same contents; they were both loaded to the brim with clothing, yet hers held pastel reds, fiery oranges and creamy whites.

As we were searching for something for me to wear, she filled the air with apologies and dismisses about the Captain's behavior. I responded to each statement with an "Okay." or an "I'll remember that", but the girl kept on with her kid-natured voice. I found it comforting though, since I barely had to do any talking. Talking above the water was still new to me, and as I had found, if I do it for too long then I find my throat uncomfortably dry.

Eventually, we found an older gown that would fit me. Alya is a shorter and beautifully curvy girl, while I am tall and thin, so the search was treacherous. Nevertheless, in the end, we prevailed.

She told me that Chloe had once thrown this nightgown at her when she was intoxicated, so she just kept it, explaining why it was a coal black with white and pale yellow lace. Even though I've only known her for less than a week, it sounds like something Chloe would do.

Everything else amongst her collection of gowns were the aforementioned oranges and so on. She dressed like a colorful reef, and it brought me some happiness to reminiscence about my "water days".

"You can sleep on the bed or the floor, take your pick." Alya told me, so I replied with a seemingly normal question, but she seemed confused by it; "Which one would feel more like a coconut crab shell? I had one back at home."

She squinted her eyes and put her hand up to cover her mouth as if in thought, and she eventually let it rest at her side again. "The floor, I guess?..." she said, her voice getting higher and more unsure at the end of the sentence.

I shrugged and thanked her before sitting down on the fluffy center of the room, which she explained to me as a "rug". I laid down into a reverse swimming position on my back. (My arms stretched above my head and legs bent at the 'knees'.)

I closed my eyes and almost drifted off to sleep, but I was startled by heavy snickering.

"Is that how you fall asleep?!" She breathed between intense fits of laughter. "Yes?.. Did I do it wrong?..." I muttered. "Dude, that's so easy! The Mermaid world seems a lot more interesting." She said, her hands on her hips. She then turned around and went to her "bed" to fall asleep as well.

I noticed she had tried my flawless sleeping position and found it a lot easier to doze off. Had humans been sleeping a different way all this time?

She was still snorting to herself funnily as I slipped into a world of fantasy and visions, instantly drifting into the world of dreams.

If one of the things I didn't know about the human was for certain:

I would never be mentally ready for what the next day would have in store.

The Next Morning

Alya and I were woken up by Captain Adrien bursting through the door at 11:00 am. "Rise and shine, ladies! We leave for the market in half an hour, so look fine enough that the men don't steal you!" He boomed, then left- leaving the door wide open.