Asked Out // Dirk Gently

TV Show - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency 

Imagine Dirk needing Todd's help in order to ask you out.

Your POV

"Everything is connected, (Y/n)!" Dirk's cheerful voice pierces through my cloud of misery. 

We stand in the park, green grass and trees meld with bright flowers to make a beautiful scene. 

I sigh. Being Todd's roommate has its advantages, actually it doesn't have that many advantages, but it's never boring I guess.

Dirk Gently is interesting. And annoying. And overly optimistic.

I am the opposite. Boring, bearable, and negative. 

"Oh, come on (Y/n)! This is exciting! A new case!" 

"Mmhmm, a butterfly is connected to a dead body somehow?" I say, rolling my eyes as I try to avoid looking at him. 

He frowns, "Well, not exactly, but it is quite beautiful."

Then, he smiles, and his smile is very contagious. I find myself unwittingly smiling with him, as we stare at the fragile creature. 

"Y'know Dirk, it is nice." I whisper, afraid I'll scare it away. 

Then he turns his attention away from the butterfly and looks at me. His eyes twinkle at untold wonders, as he gazes into my eyes. 

My breath hitches in my throat, and butterflies, similar to the one we were just discussing, dance fervently in my stomach. 

We lean closer together, and the air fills with cackling lightning. 

"Oh, um.. back to the case!" Dirk says suddenly as I flush with embarrassment.

I mentally face-palm as I walk slowly behind him. I thought we were having moment. I foolishly thought he was going to ask me out or something. I mean we were this close to kissing. But he just thinks of me as an assistant. A holistic assistant to his holistic detective. 

I sigh, something I seem to be doing more of everyday. 

-Dirk's POV- 

Darn it Dirk!!! 

I was this close to telling her how beautiful she looked and asking her out to dinner! But then, 'Oh, uh.. the case!' Urg! Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!!

I mentally face-palm myself as I walk ahead of (Y/N). Truth is, I've been dying to ask her out for a long long time. I sigh. But I always screw it up. 

Ooh, maybe Todd has an idea! Todd's full of brilliant ideas! He can help me!  

-timeskip-

I stand in front of Todd, wringing my hands in despair. I just explained my dilema to him, and am waiting anxiously for his response. 

Eventually, he says "So, you like her..."

*😒* "Obviously Todd, have you been listening to a word I've said?"

"Well, yeah. Its just surprising, that's all." Todd replies, stirring his coffee. 

"Weeelllll????" 

"Just ask her out, it's actually really simple. Go up to her and say, 'Hey (Y/n), will you go out with me.' Just like that." He sips his coffee smugly. 

I sigh, "But what if she says no?!"

Todd squints at him, "Then she says no, but I doubt she will." 

"Pfft, easy for you to say. Have you ever actually-"

"Oh, here she comes!" Todd pushes me towards the door. 

"Hey! Wait, what're you do-" 

I slam straight into (Y/n). She looks at me startled *😮*, and asks if I'm ok.

"Yeah, yes I'm fine. But, erm, I was wondering if you'ddddddd..."

"If I'd..?" 

"If you'dddd..." I trail off and look nervously at Todd.

Todd heaves a great sigh, "He wants to know if you'll go on a date with him tomorrow at seven, or eight, your pick."

I wait anxiously for her answer. She seems shocked, and then pleased *😀*.

"Yeah," she clears her throat, "yeah, I'd like that."

I smile widely, and she smiles too. Even Todd smiles.

A/N-

So, should I quit with the emojis now? I just thought it helped convey what their faces were doing...

I can stop if its too annoying..🤪