5. Meeting The Jonin

"He's late!"

Naruto was poking his head out the door, looking left and right. Sakura was scolding Naruto, Sasuke was sitting down at a desk and (Y/n) was leaning against the wall in the back of the room.

"Naruto, just sit down!" Sakura yelled at Naruto, who turned to her with a frown on his face.

"I don't want to! How come our teacher's the only one late? I'm ready to roll, believe it! The other groups already met their new teachers and took off on some adventure or something. And Iruka Sensei's gone too!"

Sakura sighed, "We know okay? Hey, what are you doing?!"

Naruto was standing on a stool with a chalkboard eraser in his hand, and placed it in between the sliding door. He jumped off the stool, "That's what he gets for coming late, surprise!"

"You're asking for trouble. You know you shouldn't do that." Sakura scolded Naruto but in her mind, she secretly loved pranks.

Sasuke frowned, "Our teacher's a Jonin, an elite ninja. Do you really think he'd fall for that?"

"Yeah Sasuke's right. You're so clueless Naruto."

(Y/n) was just ignoring the conversation her teammates were having, waiting patiently for her new teacher. The door finally slid open, making the eraser fall and gain everyone's attention. A silver haired masked man was standing, picking up the eraser that fell from his head.

Naruto laughed, and pointed at the unknown man, "I got him! He totally fell for it!"

Sakura blushed and tried apologizing for Naruto's actions while Sasuke narrowed his eyes at the man.

'Is this guy really a Jonin?' He thought. (Y/n), however, stared at the man with curiosity and interest.

He finally spoke up, "Hm, how could I put this? My first impression of this group... You're a bunch of idiots."

The four kids had a deadpanned expression once he said that. Everyone went up to the rooftop of the building, sitting down on the floor except for the Jonin. "All right, why don't you introduce yourselves one at a time?" He said.

Sakura was confused, "Introduce ourselves? Well, what are we supposed to say?"

The man shrugged his shoulders, "Things you like, things you hate, dreams for the future, hobbies. Stuff like that."

"Why don't you tell us stuff first? Tell us about you so we can see how it's supposed to work." Naruto said.

"Me?" The Jonin pointed to himself, "I'm Kakashi Hatake. Things I like and things I hate: I don't really feel like telling you that."

(Y/n) sweatdropped hearing Kakashi continue, "My dreams for the future? I never really thought about it. As for my hobbies, I have lots of hobbies."

Sakura turned to Naruto and whispered, "Well that was really useless, all he told us was his name." The blonde boy nodded in response, "Uh huh."

"Okay your turn, you on the right." Kakashi looked at Naruto who was grinning.

He nodded, "Believe it. I'm Naruto Uzumaki. I like hanging out with my best friend (Y/n)," Naruto grinned at (Y/n) who smiled a bit.

"I also like instant ramen in a cup, and I really like the ramen Iruka Sensei got me at the Ichiraku noodle shop. But I hate the three minutes you have to wait after you pour the water in the ramen cup. My hobby is eating different kinds of ramen and comparing them. And my future dream is to be the greatest Hokage. Then the whole village will stop disrespecting me and start treating me like somebody important."

'Well, he's grown up in a very interesting way,' Kakashi thought. "All right, next."

"I'm Sakura Haruno. What I like-- uh-- I mean, the person I like is--" Sakura giggled, looking at Sasuke who wasn't paying attention to her. "Uh, my hobby is-- uh--" She giggled some more, "My dream for the future is--" Sakura squealed, blushing at the thought of her and Sasuke together.

Kakashi raised his brow, "And? What do you hate?"

Sakura's smile turned upside down, "Naruto! And Beifong too!"

Naruto was sad that his crush thought of him that way, while (Y/n) on the other hand was steaming red. 'What the hell did I ever do to her?!' She thought.

"You, the other one." Kakashi broke (Y/n)'s thoughts, seeing all eyes were on her. She sighed and was about to speak, until Naruto interrupted her. "Yes! Now you gotta talk for once (N/n)-chan!" He smiled deviously, making (Y/n) frown.

(Y/n) turned to Kakashi, shrugging her shoulders and shaking her head to signal a no. Kakashi widened his eyes, a little surprised by her actions. He sighed, "Fine last one," He turned to Sasuke.

"My name is Sasuke Uchiha. I hate a lot of things, and I don't particularly like anything except for one thing." Sasuke's words made Sakura gasp. "What I have is not a dream because I will make it a reality. I am going to restore my clan and destroy a certain someone." He finished.

Silence.

'He's different than what I expected. I wonder what happened to him that haunted his childhood.' (Y/n) stared at the clouds above her.

Kakashi nodded, "Good. You're each unique and you have your own ideas. We'll have our first mission tomorrow."

"Uh, what kind of mission are we going to have?" Naruto smiled happily.

"It's a task the five of us will do together." Kakashi said.

"What, what, what?"

"A survival exercise."

"Huh? Survival exercise?"

Sakura frowned, "I thought we were supposed to have a real mission, not more practice. We already did this stuff at the academy, that's how we got here."

Kakashi crossed his arms, "This is not like your previous training."

"So, uh-- what kind of training is it then?" Naruto questioned.

Kakashi started to laugh evilly, making (Y/n) widen her eyes and clench both her fists to her sides.

Sakura raised a brow, "Hey hold on. That's a normal question. What's so funny?"

Kakashi smiled, "Well if I tell you the answer, you're not going to like it."

"Huh?" Naruto was also confused like Sakura.

"Of the 27 graduates who just came here, only ten will actually be accepted as Genin. The other eighteen will be weeded out and sent back to the academy. In other words, this is a make it or break it, pass-fail test, and the chance that you will fail is at least 66%."

Everyone was shocked to hear Kakashi's comment on the test that they had to be given.

Kakashi chuckled, "See? Didn't I tell you you wouldn't like it?"

"That's crazy! We worked hard to get here, believe it! What was the graduation test for anyway?" Naruto pointed out.

"Oh that?" Kakashi blinked, "That was just to select candidates who might become Genin-- or not. That's how it is. I decide whether or not you pass or fail. Be at the designated training spot at 5:00 am, and bring your ninja gear."

'Well, I'm not going to be weeded out. People are going to look up to me some day, I've got to pass this test. Believe it!'

'If I fail I'll be seperated from Sasuke. This is a trial of love.'

'Damn... So that test was for nothing? And this is for real? Well I'm not going to fail, no I'm not! I've got to keep my promise, I just have to!'

"That's it. You're dismissed. Oh, tomorrow you better skip breakfast, or else you'll puke." Those were Kakashi's last words, making (Y/n) roll her eyes.

'Like hell I'm going to skip breakfast. Food comes first, food is fuel. Without it I won't have energy, and I don't even know what's going to happen tomorrow. I guess I'll just wait and see...'