::25:: Ride Home

Normally, I wouldn’t have woken up from just the plain snap of a twig, but the little bundle of fur that was sleeping next to me wouldn’t let me pass up on the opportunity. Her small claws dug a little bit into my skin as she stood on top of me in her attempt to locate where the sound had come from. Her ears perked up and her body possessed a certain seriousness that was passed down from her ancestors.

“What are you looking at?” I moaned. I rolled over begrudgingly to look out from underneath the bush to see what the commotion was about. The sun shined brightly in my eyes, causing me to close them several times before I was able to actually keep them open long enough to see.

The bushes began to shake and I stared at them intently, debating if being trapped under a bush was actually such a good idea if a wild beast were to come smashing through the bracken. The little wolf pup’s muscles tightened as it prepared for the attacker. My eyes quickly flickered up to where I thought Tyson would be sleeping in the tree, only to find that he wasn’t there. At that moment my heart began pumping like crazy, and I felt some adrenaline being pumped into my system.

As the creature began to emerge from the bushes I reflexively shut my eyes for one second. Upon opening them I saw a police officer trying to tug the leg of his pants out of the briar bush that he had stumbled through.

“Shit,” He mumbled as he gave a final tug to get his leg loose. “Any missing kids around here?” He called out awkwardly, “What were their names again? Alyssa? Alexis? Alli?” The sight of the police officer instantly caused my entire body to relax. The wolf pup seemed to feel all of the tension leave my body causing her to relax as well.

“I’m he-” I had begun to sigh and make an effort to get out from under the bush when a hand quickly covered my mouth. Terror filled my body as I frantically tried to figure out who had grabbed me.

“Shhh…,” Tyson’s voice breathed in my ear. “We can’t have him help us; otherwise you might get to go home. And that would end all of the fun.” He teased.

He was right. In front of me, calling out awkwardly with a slightly torn up leg, was probably the only opportunity for me to finally get home. My heart tightened for a second. Home. With my annoying brother, my father who plays video games with me, and my mother who adores me. It was only a few feet away. I know that my father will probably be really strict on the whole ‘leaving the house without a body guard’ for a while, but eventually it’d go back to normal.

It’d be like none of this ever happened.

My heart hurt suddenly, and I felt myself almost tear up. Part of me wanted it to go back to normal, but the other half of me didn’t really mind being kidnapped. It may sound weird, but the people who actually kidnapped me, not their boss, are actually really good people. And for whatever the reason, my heart actually hurt at the idea of being cut off from them. I mean, I obviously wouldn’t ever get to see them again would I?

Would I?

Tyson’s voice was in my ear again bringing me back to my reality.

“But this will probably be your only chance of getting home with the one-hundred percent chance of living,” His voice sounded strained, as if he was the one making a serious life choice here. I’m the one who was having serious problems here, what was he so worked up about? “So if you want to go home; this is your chance.” He mumbled, letting go of me and pulling away to let me make my choice.

I hadn’t realized it, but he had actually been completely pressed against my back, and with the sudden disappearance of his body heat goose bumps began to rise on my body. The thought made me blush a little bit. It was a natural reaction. No feelings behind it or anything.