The Beginning

"Ben!" My screech echoed through the hallway as my best friend popped out of nowhere with a loud shout. He always seemed to do that, and it had me incredibly paranoid. I swore it was his ambition in life to give me a heart attack.

"Dude, you should've seen the look on your face!" The boy doubled over in laughter and clutched at his stomach. I couldn't help but burst into a fit of laughter as well, earning a snort from myself for trying to keep it in.

Once we could breathe properly again, Ben and I made our way down the hall to our next class.

"So are you coming over after school?" Ben asked with a sideways glance.

"Hell yeah!" I said. "You've got the best snacks in a ten mile radius!"

"Damn right I do," he grinned, nudging me a bit with his shoulder.

I chuckled softly as I righted myself and scanned the students in the hallway. Seeing all the cheesy athletic couples holding hands and flirting at their lockers made my heart clench.

I wanted that. I wanted to feel loved. By someone. Anyone.

The smile on my face slowly fell as I turned my head to the carefree auburn haired boy walking beside me.

"Ben?" I asked uncertainly, making his head turn to me.

"What's up?" he inquired, tilting his head a bit.

"I have something to tell y-"

I was cut off as an overly peppy girl in the year above us bounced up to us, distributing flyers as she went.

"First dance of the school year is this Friday. Y'all should come," she grinned politely at us.

Ben and I usually weren't the kind to go to dances, but I could see his eyes light up.

"Dude, she's totally into me," Ben whispered excitedly as soon as she was out of hearing range.

"You do realize she's dating Charlie, right?" I asked skeptically.

"Why else would she ask us to come to the dance?" he pointed out smugly.

I turned my head to look down the hallway and said, "Maybe because she's literally asking everyone? Or because she's part of the Student Senate that's hosting it?"

"You just had to rain on my parade, didn't you, Decker?" Ben sighed dramatically as we continued to our class.

"Always," I grinned cheekily.

"So, what was it you were going to tell me?" he asked curiously as we both found our desks in the back of the class.

"Oh, it's nothing," I sighed as I slipped my backpack off my shoulder and dropped it next to my chair. "I'll tell you later."

"Is it about your dad?" he asked worriedly.

"I said I'll tell you later," I reminded as the teacher walked in.

"Is he drinking again?"

"He never stopped," I grumbled under my breath before saying, "Just drop it for now, Ben. I'll tell you tonight."

"Okay, but don't think I'll just forget about it. I'm going to bug the crap out of you until you tell me what's wrong."

"You do that without even trying," I teased and stuck my tongue out at him.

Ben huffed and folded his arms over his chest. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Sure you don't," I rolled my eyes as the teacher started her lesson.

I tried to focus on what she was saying, but my mind was more occupied with how I was going to come out to my best friend, and how he was going to react.

×××

"Cole! You killed me!" Ben said exasperatedly as he glared at the screen.

"Maybe I'm just better than you, Baker," I teased as I rapidly pressed buttons on my controller to finish the round.

I heard Ben set his controller down on the coffee table before I was suddenly tackled off the couch.

"Ah! B-Ben!" I gasped as he pinned me to the ground and started tickling my sides.

"N-no! Sto-p! P-please!" I begged as tears started blurring my vision. I was trying to suck in deep breaths but my laughs made it almost painful. "I'm g-gonna pee!"

"Take it back! Say I'm better than you!" Ben laughed a bit himself as he continued to tickle me.

"I-I'm better than y-you," I gasped out.

"Not what I meant," he said before tickling me more.

I made some very not manly noises before I finally relented and said, "Fine, fine! Y-you're better than me!"

The tickling immediately ceased and as I blinked away the tears in my eyes and gasped for breath. I looked up to see Ben hovering only inches above me with a smirk on his face.

Oh hell. This is not a good train of thought. Abort, abort!

"Dude, move," I said, placing my hand on his chest in an attempt to push him away.

"Why should I?" he asked, tilting his head a bit.

My heart fluttered as he looked down at me with forest green eyes, and I felt my breath catch momentarily.

"I-I really need to pee," I said in a moment of panic.

Ben chuckled at me but moved regardless. No sooner was he out of the way that I stood and sprinted to the nearest bathroom.

After slamming the door behind me and locking it, I leaned my back against it and focused on my breathing.

After a few calming moments, I did my business and washed my hands. Looking in the mirror, I noticed my skin was flushed from laughing so hard... and from... whatever that was.

Was he flirting with me, or was I just overthinking it? God, this was all so new to me. I had no idea what I was doing.

"Cole! I'm going to go make some popcorn! You want any?" Ben called from outside the bathroom door, making me jump a bit.

"Yeah!" I called back, masking my panic quite well.

"Alright. I'll be right back. And then we're going to talk about whatever you have to tell me," he said before his footsteps started to fade.

And the panic returned.

×××
A/N

Hey guys! Another chapter up for you! I had to get up extra early this morning so I could write it before I have to do all my homework and crap.

Anyway...

What is your favorite food?

-Anon