Chapter 5

*WARNING*  *WARNING*
There is light discussion of self-hate and thoughts of suicide. Please do not read if this might be a trigger for you. ~Suicide Hotline>>>1-800-273-8555~
You are not alone. Please, please, please reach out to someone if you feel the need to talk to someone about your mental health. For those of you who know me or read my stories, I do not like to write about suicide or sexual assault but if I have to, I try to minimize it as much as possible because I do not want to trigger anyone. I have a little more to say so please read the author's note at the end!!

Clint and Krista were the last ones to enter the room. The Avengers had briefly taken a break before the whole team met to discuss what they would do about their situation at hand.

"Have a seat, Krista." Wanda offered with a little smile.

"I really should leave." She shook her head gently. "This is a family affair and I don't want to barge in."

"You are more than welcomed to stay, Krista." Steve assured her.

"Some of us will need the unbiased support." Natasha added.

Krista nodded her head and sat down in the chair that Clint had pulled out for her.

Uncomfortable silence fell around the room for a few moments. Everyone shared small glances or looks with hidden meanings.

"Alright, guys." Steve sighed out, leaning forward to lean against the coffee table with is elbows. "We're facing a new problem and this one hits extremely close to home for all of us. Shyla is sitting downstairs in one of the interrogation rooms."

"Shyla?" Bruce repeated, looking around the table with confusion written across his face.

"Wait, isn't that the girlfriend of Barton's that died a few years ago?" Scott Lang questioned. He was one of the two newest members of the Avengers who had joined shortly after the death of Shyla Vexx.

"Yes, Scott. That's the only Shyla we know." Sam rolled his eyes at Lang's bluntness.

"Wait, she's alive?"

"Can I just go over there?" Clint looked to Steve. He was done with this meeting already and had no time for his teammates right now.

"I'm not sure if that's a good idea, Barton."

"She looked me right in the eyes when I walked in, Clint." Natasha spoke gently to her best friend. She had been the first Avenger to go in and attempt to interrogate the woman. "She didn't show any signs that you'd normally see in person who sees someone they haven't seen for so long, and we've been close for years."

"I don't want to put anyone in a compromising situation." Steve proclaimed, crossing his arms and pausing to think about what he wanted to say. "We've seen what she can do and I don't want to chance anything happening."

"If that really is her in there, Cap, her powers won't work." Bruce reminded him. "We lined all of the interrogation rooms with that power-canceling material, remember?"

Steve groaned internally and rubbed his eyes.

•*•*•

Shyla Vexx's P.O.V.

I put my forehead down on the table as I took another deep breath. Just about three hours had passed since I woke up in this interrogation room. I tried multiple different times to reach Loki via telepathy but it wasn't working.

I kept my eyes shut, focusing intently on trying to find him. However, I couldn't even hear anyone's voice. Something was wrong.

The door opened and I sat up, still keeping my head down. Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see that whoever it was had stopped in the doorway.