••• Chapter 2 •••

It's December 29, my birthday and I am at the park alone. I sit on a blanket staring at the sun. It's early, although I'm not sure what time. I don't know why I'm alone. I have friends. I guess it's because Tobias can't be with me. I don't hang out with my friends very much because I just want to talk to Tobias.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by a deep voice behind me saying, "Happy Birthday." My eyes widen at the voice, and I shake my head, unbelieving.

But yet, as I turn my head, there he is, with his arms spread in front of him calling me. I stand up quickly and run into his open arms, wrapping my own around his waist.

"What are doing here?" I mumble into his chest.

"Surprise!" he says. "I bought tickets about a month ago. I'm staying for a week."

A smile takes over my face as I pull back and look into his beautiful eyes. But when I do, my stomach sinks. I stare into his eyes. They are dark blue, with a patch of light blue on his right iris.

I touch the soft face that has light stubble, and pull my hand away, sighing.

"Tobias," I say. "You didn't get tickets. This is a dream."

"Tris. I'm here. It's not a dream."

I shake my head, and do something that I would have never done if he was real. I cup his face in my hands and gently press my lips to his. I've already admitted to myself that I like him.

I drown in his eyes on every FaceTime call. Those aren't his eyes.

I pull away after a few seconds and just stare, before turning on my hill and walking away.

»»»

When I wake up, I groan. It isn't the first time that I've dreamed about meeting Tobias. But, it is the first time where he wasn't just my best friend to me. I want him to be more, but he's just my best friend. That's better than nothing.

I look at the clock. 9:37 am. Tobias is probably still asleep. He usually wakes up around 8:30 and it's 7:37 in California.

I pull out my phone, and when I do, I smile. How did I forget?

November 21

It has officially been a year since my best friend has came into my life. And I couldn't ask for anything more.

Except maybe for Tobias to be my boyfriend. Move on, Tris, I think to myself.

I text him, wanting to be first.

HAPPY ONE YEAR, LOSER! -Tris

I go downstairs to make breakfast when I see my mom has already cooked.

"Hey sweetie," mom says with her famous smile.

"Hi!" The smile on my face is still there. It probably will be for a while.

"What are you so happy about?" she asks.

"Today is one year since Tobias and I became friends."

"Beatrice, that's great. Congratulations."

"Thanks mom." I stuff a piece of bacon into my mouth as I sit on the counter. My mom chuckles and shakes her head, leaving the room.