Chapter 2

Ryan entered the cafeteria and looked around briefly before focusing on where he was going instead of the people he figured were looking at him. He took a deep breath and went to stand in the lunch line.

Troy was sitting around with all of his friends just laughing and joking when he noticed the new boy walk in. He noticed that the poor guy looked nervous.

Troy went to get up and go greet him when he felt a hand on his chest. He looked down at it and followed the offending hand up to its owner. "Chad? What are you doing" he asked curiously.

"Me? What are YOU doing?" Troy frowned. "Well for your information I was going to go say Hello to the new kid. He's in our first class." Chas just shook his head. "I know he is. Troy, look how he's dressed. You really think these guys" gesturing to their friends "would accept someone like him?"

The way Chad said "him" really got under his skin for some reason, but he just shook it off. Troy rolled his eyes and tried to walk over to Ryan again but was once again stopped by Chad.

"Come on man just let it go." Chad said. Troy huffed and nodded and returned to his place at the table, still watching Ryan out of the corner of his eye.

Ryan got his lunch and paid for it. He then turned to survey where he was going to sit. He spotted an empty table. 'Good, empty.' He thought and took another deep breath and headed over to the table. He sat his food down and pulled a book out of his bag and read while he ate.

Troy sighed 'He hasn't made any friends yet, he's eating alone' he thought sadly. 'Screw this' was his next thought as he got up before Chad could notice and walked over to The table where he was sitting. He didn't seem to notice Troy's presence at first so he cleared his throat which made the boy jump and flinch.

Ryan's POV

'This food is awful, but this book is pretty good.' I muse to myself while I enjoy my much needed silence and peace. Then someone clears their throat.

I almost jump out of my skin which makes the bruise I'm sure is forming on my abdomen hurt which makes me wince in pain. I look up and see who the offender is.

"T...Troy?" I mange. He gives me a, what I can only describe as dazzling, smile and I blush slightly, adverting my eyes.

"Hey Ryan." He continued and I'm trying really hard to focus on his words but it just isn't working.

"W...what?" I ask softly. Troy laughs and says "I said how is your first day going? Have you made any new friends" all I can do is shake my head no 'Great he probably thinks I'm an invalid.'

I sigh and was just about to speak up but then someone else approached with a basketball in tow. My eyes get a little wider but I advert them to the book I was reading to keep Troy from seeing my reaction.

Regular POV

Once Chad had realized where Troy had run off to, he decided he needed to "save" him. He grabbed his basketball and headed over. The two didn't know he was there until he was right on them.

He saw the new kids eyes get kinda big and look away. 'Jeez jumpy much? It's not like I'm going to hit him with the ball' Chad thought to himself.

Troy had caught Ryan's reaction as well but chose not to address it right now. Chad placed the ball on the table and leaned on it.

"Come on El Capitan. It's time to practice some free throws. Just because you're the captain doesn't mean you don't need practice" Chad joked.

Ryan spoke up softly "C...Captain?" He asked looking between the boys. Troy had a shy grin and his hand on the back of his head. 'Why am I blushing??' Troy thought but pushed it to the back of his mind as quickly as it had appeared there.