»part 40 » waiting and wanting

Start from the beginning

Debbie huffed something under her breath and turned herself back around, sinking deeper into the old couch.

Just as Franny started to feel comfortable in my arms, my phone went off in the kitchen. The loud ring echoed off the walls, causing Franny to stir in my arms. And then just like clockwork, the tiny angel's face scrunched up and her mouth opened with a loud shriek.

"Oh no." I said quietly as Franny's face turned cherry-red.

"Shit, Cash. Seriously? You just got her to sleep." Debbie shot up from the couch and marched over to me. Her face was red with anger as she tried to gently grab Franny from my arms. "It's okay, baby. Mommy's here."

"Sorry." I mumbled as I handed off the baby.

Debbie shot me a narrowed glare before ascending up the stairs with the crying baby tightly in her arms.

And this is why I could never be a mother. I have zero patience for this kind of thing.

I sighed in relief as the noise disappeared upstairs before I went for my phone. Once I picked up the iPhone, I furrowed my brows at the unknown number that appeared across the screen. "Hello?"

I could hear breathing on the other end, but there was no answer.

I looked up at the clock. Considering it was 7 o'clock in the morning, it seemed a little too early to be getting prank calls from brats. I rolled my eyes, growing annoyed. "Hello, asshole?"

A soft sniffle filled my ear before the voice I knew too well answered. "Cash," Lip simply spoke in a tired-voice.

At the sound of his voice, worry shot up my spin causing me to straighten. I would be lying if I said I didn't worry about him last night after I pretty much told him to fuck off. He was drunk and reckless, and I let him disappear down the street. I felt my body fill with panic. "Lip? Is everything okay? Where are you?"

Not long ago he was sitting up in a hospital bed on the verge of alcohol poisoning from his reckless acts. I could only imagine what shit he got himself into this time.

"Uh," He hesitated, "Everything's okay. I'm fine."

I sighed and closed my eyes. "Where are you?"

"I'm outside of Cook County."

"Jail?!" The word jumped out of my throat with worry.

The other end was quiet. I could practically hear him calculating what he was going to say next. My heart raced before he sighed into the phone, "Can you meet me at the diner? I think we should talk."

I swallowed a lump in my throat, "Um, sure. Are you sure everything's okay?"

He was quiet.

"Lip?"

"Just get here as soon as you can, please?"

I bit my bottom lip wondering what he was up to. What did he do? My mind scattered with thoughts before I answered. "Of course. I'll be there soon."

"Thanks, Cash."

"Yeah, of course."

Once the line went dead, I felt my heart bounce against my ribs. With everything that's happened between us, I could only imagine what he wanted to talk about. Especially with what a mess he's been in lately.

I let myself squirm into a ball of nerves before facing the troubled.

-----

Today was the day of Fiona's wedding. As I left the Gallagher home to find out what my troubled boy got himself into, different generations of the Gallagher bunch were running around with their heads cut off. Fiona was tripping about her makeup as Debs complained about dresses she couldn't wear anymore. Amongst all the crying and screaming, Liam was trying on Carl's old suits while Carl made out with his newest girlfriend, Dominque.