only memories after all

jaeden's POV

"jaeden sweetheart, how was the beach with makeely?" my mom said. we were sitting at the dinner table with our family friends, the ganbeirgs.

i looked up from my plate and smiled.

"it was really good. jackie took some good pictures of us." i answer.

"who's makaylee?" hope, the ganbeirgs eldest daughter asked, saying makeely's name completely wrong.

hope and i used to have a thing, we're the same age, we grew up together. we dated for a year. but i cut it off when i met makeely.

"my girlfriend and her name is makeely." i answer. her eyes widen, then she smirks.

"is she as pretty as me?" she asks innocently. my fists clench under the table.

"now that's quite enough hope, jaeden, please tell us more about her." mrs.ganbeirg smiles at me.

i smile back silently thanking her for stopping her daughter.

"she's great, amazing actually, she's not like the other girls. she doesn't have a skinny frame. she has beautiful curves. she has these freckles that are all over her body. her hair is this rare strawberry blonde color and she has the brightest blue eyes." i explained.

"how did you two meet?" mrs. ganbeirg asks and i smile.

"we ran into each other in the hallway when someone pulled the fire alarm.

she nods, opening her mouth to ask another question but is cut off by my phone ringing.

i apologize and step out of the dining room to answer my phone, it was jackie.

"hey jackie, what's up?" i say answering the phone.

"jae-" she chokes. my eyes widen.

"it's makeely she got sh-shot" she stutters and my heart drops.

"where are you??" i almost shout into the phone.

"westfield hospital. tell the rest, please hurry." she says. we say our goodbyes and hang up.

i run into the kitchen where hope and my mom were, putting the dishes away.

"mom." she didn't respond. she was talking to hope.

"he might need tutoring, maybe you cou-"

"MOM!" i scream, she turns around. her face mad.

"jaeden wesley lieberher, that is not how you speak to me while i am having a c-"

"mom! makeely got shot! i need a ride to the hospital!" i shout and her eyes widen. she drops the wine glass that she was holding, and i watch as it shatters to pieces on the ground.

she collects herself and apologizes.

"hope, do you mind cleaning this up sweetie? i need to get my shoes." my mom asks and hope nods.

i shaking as i watch my mom leave the room. mrs, and mr. ganbeirg walk into the kitchen wide eyed.

"is everything alright son?" mr. ganbeirg asks placing a hand on my shoulder. i shook my head as my mom walks back into the room with her purse and keys in her hand, shoes on her feet.

"susan, jack, you'll have to forgive us, makeely, jaeden's girlfriend has been shot, i have to give him a ride to the hospital. you can stay here as long as you'd like, i will be back shortly." my mom says and they nod understandingly and we rush out the door.

once we were in the car i was crying. tears rushing from my eyes. my mom was speeding. i remembered i hadn't told the rest of our group so i had to call them.