Chapter Twelve

He gently pulls away, standing up, so I do too. "Look, despite you being a rebellious bad ass...I can tell you're hurting, and I don't know why and it's not my place to know." He says and I furrow my eyebrows.

"I don't wanna take advantage of you." He says and I raise an eyebrow. "I like you, a lot. And I don't regret yesterday and I had a great time tonight. But you're dealing with stuff at home and I think it's best if we just take it slow from now on...start over." He says, and it suddenly hits me- he's right. This is moving so fast and I didn't notice because I was so infatuated by the idea of him. With all of this vampire drama I'm not sure I can handle another person who cares about me that I have to keep secrets from.

"Okay...nice to meet you, I'm Val." I laugh. "I'm Jeremy." He says. "Well Val, would you like me to walk you home?" He asks. "You could be an axe murderer." I laugh.

"Come on Val, take a chance, be a rebel." Jeremy taunts and I laugh, nodding and pecking his cheek.

So,we walk home. Making small talk, exchanging longing glances. We get into a conversation about his interests. "Video games, drawing... a lot." He says and I nod. "It's Okay you can say it...I'm a nerd." He laughs and I sigh with a smile.

"You know, I never got that as an insult, How is in insulting?Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself." I say and he looks and me and laughs. "What?" I ask with a smile.

"It's adorable how passionate you are about this." He says and I giggle. "I'm passionate about a lot of things Gilbert." I laugh and he looks at me. "Like what?" He asks. "Books. I love them. I love the literature, how you can really see what the characters are feeling." I say and he smiles, nodding. "How can you get so passionate about a book?" He asks and I shrug.

"Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book." I say, my eyes bubbling at the thought of my favourite book. "And which book makes you feel this way?" He asks.

"Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. It's about suicide.He's the only person to know what it feels like to have the whole world swallow you up, to want it to be all over - with out actually dying." I explain and he puts an arm over my shoulder.

We walk the small distance left to my house before stopping in the driveway. "Thanks." I smile. "No problem." He nods. "So..how slow did you mean when you said to take it slow exactly?" I ask. "Uh, moderately paced." He says with an awkward.

"So it's alright if I kiss you?" I ask and he nods. "I'm taking it slow for you. And yes you can." He responds. "Good." I say and kiss him passionately. "I really needed some motivation to sit through the lecture I'm about to endure." I sigh and he kisses my forehead.

"Good luck, call me later." He says and I nod. "Bye." I smile. "See ya, Rebel." He says and I blush as he walks away.

I take in a deep breath and step inside my house. "Ah! You've decided to join us." My Dad says flatly.

"Yes. Now what is it you want to lecture me on?" I ask with a sharp tone, remembering what Stefan said about my rage.

"Everything! Drugs, alcohol...Jeremy Gilbert!" He yells. "What about him?!" I scream. "He's bad for you Val! He's already started to rub off on you!" He shouts back.

"How?! This has always been who I am! I just haven't felt like myself since she died. Is it such a crime I'm finally coming around?!" I yell.

We argue back and forth for another 20 minutes before I start to feel like I'm about to loose it and feed on someone. I know what I have to do.

"I'M DONE!YOU NEVER LISTEN,YOU NEVER FUCKING LISTEN!" I scream. "Don't you dare use that tone with me!" He yells. "Oh don't be an ass." I scoff, just wanting to hug him and tell him I don't mean any of it.

I march up the stairs and grab a case from under my bed, trying to not collapse on the floor as my body grows weaker. I throw my cute clothes into the large case.

I quickly grab my makeup bag and some shoes and put them in a smaller case. Along with my phone charger. I call Stefan quickly and shove my curler, blow drier and flat iron into the small case before closing it.

"Hey, did you do it?" He asks. "Yeah, I did. Look I'm packing some of my stuff up right now so could you pick me up at the end of the street? I'm not sure how long I can hold off- Jeremy has been gone almost 30 minutes now." I ramble .

"Yeah I'll be there soon." He says and hangs up. I grab my handbag and slipping it down my arm built it reaches the crease in my elbow. I grab the suitcases and go downstairs. "What are you doing?" Stiles asks as he comes through the door with Scott. "Leaving." I say and push past him but he grabs me.

"Why?" He asks and I know I can't be gentle so I have to be temperamental. "Ask Dad!" I yell and suddenly get really hungry so I use it as rage.

"Where are you going?" Dad asks. "Somewhere." I snap and walk out of the door, my dad yelling for me to come back - I hear Stiles attempt to convince him to let me leave, just like I compelled him to.

I walk to the end of the street and put my things in the back of Stefan's car before getting in. "You Okay?" He asks and I wipe my eyes harshly. "No." I sigh, sniffling. "Look I'm sorry, but until wefigurethis out it's best that they don't know much. You could hurt them, or he could discover what you are and lock you up. You know it was the right thing to do." He says.

"Just take me to your place." I sigh deeply and he drives, me facing away from him, crying silently.

>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<>.<

I get to his place, flopping on my bed and video calling Jeremy. "Hey." He says. "Hey." I drag with a sigh.

"I'm taking by the scenery that you aren't in your own house." He says. "No, I'm not." I confirm. "You wanna talk?" He asks. "Yeah just not about that." I sigh. "Yeah okay." I smile.

And we just talked for hours.