Chapter 18

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
Chapter 18 -
Infuriating Wakeup Call
×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

“Why are you handing me all the wood?”

You place more wood into Eugene's arms and grin, “Because you're strong.”

He rolls his eyes then turns back toward the campsite, “Let's head back. I think we have enough.”

You two trudge back since it was dark and finally step over a fallen tree.

“So! Hey, uh, can I ask you something?!” Eugene asks while getting close to the fire. “Is there a chance I'm gonna get super strength in my hand because I'm not gonna lie. That would be stupendous.”

You pick up some wood that fell from his arms and notice Rapunzel had her back turned toward you, “Hey, are you okay?” You ask.

She turns around, sounding a bit off, “Oh! Sorry, yes. I'm just….lost in thought, I guess.”

Eugene just tilts his head, not seeming to care at the moment and smiles, getting the wood into the fire. “Here's the thing. Superhuman good looks, I've always had them--”

You shake your head at him and frown in worry as Rapunzel glances a bit behind her.

“--But superhuman strength? Could you imagine the possibilities of this single hand power?!”

You sit on the grass and raise a brow at him, “Then everything would be chaos.” You joked and Eugene glares at you. You laugh, “I'm joking, but still. Any power shouldn't be given to you.”

Eugene shoves you gently and Rapunzel giggles, now looking at ease and sits down on the grass.

You poke at the fire with a stick and sigh, “I'm guessing you two are going into Corona.” Rapunzel nods happily, “Yep! Eugene is taking me to see the lanterns!”

“Oh, that's so sweet of you, Eugene.” You smile smugly at him, “I have a feeling you two will LOVE the festival tomorrow. Lots of fun all day until the lanterns start.”

Eugene looks confused at your expression but shrugs. Rapunzel pulls out a paper, “(____), I was wondering. Did you happen to write this?” Pascal crawls over with a folded paper in his mouth.

You tilt your head, taking it and unfold it. It was the message you sent with the lantern you made. “Where did you get this?”

Rapunzel grins, “I found it when it landed outside my tower! I thought of it as the greatest birthday gift ever!” Pascal nods, smiling. “And I just loved the message after I figured it out recently. It's what kept me in high hopes of everything!”

You smile warmly, “Well I'm glad someone got it.” You give it back to her so she could keep it. “Maybe I should let you two know before you head to festival. I need to separate from you so the guards don't notice you two right away.”

Eugene yawns, “Yeah. That sounds like a plan.” He lays his head on a rock, closing his eyes.

Rapunzel giggles softly and looking at him with a tender gaze. Eugene began to snore lightly, so Rapunzel sighs in relief.  “(____)?”

You hum, turning your attention to the long haired blonde.

She takes a deep breath, “I have my full trust in you and I wanted to talk to you about something.” You nod for her to continue. “I'm having doubts in Eugene's intentions and…...I really love him.”

You watch her go over to a tree stump and pull out a bag before sitting next to you, “This is important to him. Do you think he'll leave if I give this back to him?”

You realize the crown is inside then take her hand, “Rapunzel…..if you want my opinion, I will say he will never leave you.” You smile softly, “Eugene is a great guy. I can see, you brought out the guy he should be.”

Her eyes are full of wonder as you continue, “You are his light through his dark because you mirror the sun. Eugene won't leave.” You squeeze your hand gently, “Trust me.”

Rapunzel grins, “Thank you.” She hands you the bag, “Please keep this for me. I'll take it back when it's the right time, okay?”

You nod, smiling and hug her, “Let's get some rest. Don't want to miss a fun day.”

Soon you all went to sleep, not noticing the three pairs of eyes watching until the fire went out.

“AHHHHHHHHH!”

You flew up in alarm and get blinded by the morning light. Faintly, you see Max pulling Eugene by his boot. You groan and lay back down, “It's too early for this.”

“Hey! Give me him!” Rapunzel restrains.

Suddenly a heavy weight is on top of you and it knocks the air out of you. “Eugene!” You yell and he gets off quickly, pulling you up as a shield. You push up your glasses and see Rapunzel getting in Max’s way.

Eugene pants, backing up with you, “This horse is CRAZY!”

You sigh a bit grumpy as Rapunzel soothes Max down. “Easy. That's it.” Max gazes on her, then to Pascal who gestures to calm down with a serious face. “Now sit.”

Max glaces to Eugene and you before neighing in protest. You shove Eugene off and point down, still grumpy, “Sit.” Max huffs, sitting with Eugene's boot in his mouth.

“Now drop the boot.” Rapunzel commands which Max shakes his head no. “Drop it.” He spits the boot out and you take it.

“Here.” You hand Eugene his boot.

“Thanks.”

“Are you all tired from chasing the bad man all over the place?” Rapunzel coos sadly.

“Excuse me?! Come on! He's a bad horse.” Eugene says a bit offended by what Rapunzel said.

You fix the satchel and find it surprising that Eugene hasn't noticed it yet. “I should head out first. Maximus, you should probably keep an eye on, you know who.” Eugene stands, glaring at Max and you smile warmly,  “But don't get him arrested yet.”

Max blinks then shakes his head no. Rapunzel cuts in,  “Just for 24 hours and then you can chase each other until your heart's content, okay?”

You rub your temples and turn to look at the kingdom that's on view, not listening to the rest of the conversation.

Rapunzel walks by you and stops to admire the same view. You hear Eugene grunt in pain and fall over. “Max!” You scold and the horse just smiles innocently.

“I'll see you guys later.” You run ahead with the satchel bouncing with every step.