Thunder

“In other announcements, the water park is closed while we unclog a massive hairball... again. Also, due to an upcoming thunderstorm, tomorrow's squishball game has been canceled. Speaking of which, the storm is supposed to last throughout most of the night, so don't stay out too long. Or, according to Branch, you'll either drown, get struck by lightning, catch hypothermia, or get really wet and/or muddy."

🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻

As the storm made its way towards Troll Village, Poppy arrived at Branch's bunker with Flower in one arm and her baby bag in the other. With her hands full, she used her hair to knock. Branch opened the eye slot to find his two girls outside.

“Poppy, what are you doing here?" he asked. “You know a storm's coming."

“I was just wondering if you wanted to watch Flower for the night," Poppy explained. “You don't have to, but we both know she hates loud noises, so I figured she'd be happier with you, and you wouldn't have to freak out."

“Good point," Branch agreed. Then, he opened the door, took his daughter and the bag from the Troll queen's arms, and said, “You coming?"

“Well, I wasn't planning on staying, and I didn't bring a change of clothes, so..."

Poppy was cut short when Branch wrapped his hair around her wrist and pulled her in.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

Branch felt an empty piece of his heart get filled whenever Poppy and Flower visited him. They were, after all, the most important people in his life. Sometimes, though, he wished they wouldn't leave. But, of course, it wasn't like they were...

As Poppy and Branch began to fall asleep, they heard a loud BOOM! outside followed by their daughter's cries.

“Branch, go calm her down," Poppy said.

“Why do I have to?" he groaned.

“Like I said, she'd be happier with you," Poppy replied. “Also, I'm too tired."

Branch grumbled. “Okay, fine."

The fact that the thunder was roaring even louder didn't help much as Flower kept crying. She was almost two, was it normal for a baby to hate noise this much?

“Shh, it's okay, Flower," Branch muttered. “It's just a little storm."

“Dada, I'm thcared," she sobbed.

Branch looked to a photo of a green, muscular Troll with dark purple hair holding a teal baby with a matching hair color.

“What would you do?" he asked to himself. Branch didn't remember his father that well, but he did remember two things. One of them was their family crest, which Branch accidentally destroyed once, and the other was a song his father used to sing to him every night. Throughout his childhood, until the day he lost his colors, Branch hoped his father would come back just to sing it to him one last time.

As tears fell from his eyes, Branch began singing it the best he could remember.

As Branch finished his father's song, he noticed his own child fast asleep in his arms. He smiled warmly and held her close.

“I never did get a sister, you know," he whispered. “But maybe you will. But first, I'd have to marry your mama."

As Branch tucked his daughter back into her crib and headed back into his room where Poppy already slept, the same thought ran through his head over and over.

“I have to marry your mama."

Sorry if this was a little short. I wasn't sure where I was going to go with this. Hopefully, the next chapter won't be so disappointing.