The First Day of School

Jace

"Wahhhhhhhh," I hear, waking me from my sleep. My eyes squint at my clock and barely make out the red numbers 6:13. I guess I'm up for the day. I trapse into Willow's room and grab her from her crib. It's different for Willow to have her own room. My instincts tell me to keep her closer, but I have to have some boundaries. Plus, she's only a handful of feet away from me.

"Why are you crying baby?" I ask her gently.

"Baba wan nummies," Willow sniffles.I bring her back to my room to quickly change her into her day clothes and then dress myself. We head to the kitchen, I put her in her highchair, and find some dry cereal for her. Then, I slice a banana and set a few pieces on her tray. While she's eating, I get a bottle of milk for the ride to daycare. I find a slice of leftover pizza from the fridge while I am in there and eat it. Breakfast of champions.

Mom enters the kitchen with a smile. "Mom, can you stay with Willow for a minute while I get our stuff please?" I ask her.

"Of course, honey," mom smiles. I go upstairs and grab my backpack along with Willow's diaper bag and her light jacket in case it's windy. I also brush my teeth and run a comb through my hair.

I find Willow cleaned up and waiting for me. "Thank you mom," I smile knowingly. She's been such a help with Willow. My whole family has. I couldn't have made it this far without my older brother, Alec and younger sister Izzy.

"Jace, we're leaving in five minutes," Alec informs me. We have to drop Willow off at daycare before we head to high school. I nod. I grab Willow from her highchair and we head to the car. I buckle her into her carseat and take the seat next to her buckling myself as well.

We arrive at Willow's daycare about ten minutes later and I take her in. I don't miss the glares other parents give me. A teen dad always brings out people's judgemental side. After Willow is signed in, I get back into the car and we head to school. I let my thoughts consume me.

"We're here," Izzy announces. I realize the car has stopped moving and grab my backpack. As we walk toward the entrance, a gorgeous girl with red hair and green eyes and a boy with a star wars t-shirt approach us.

"Hi you all must be new, I'm Clary and this is Simon. If you like, we could show you guys around," Clary offers.

"Hi, I'm Izzy and these are my brothers Alec and Jace. We'd really appreciate a tour" Izzy replies.

Another girl walks toward us, but she's looking at me." Hi, my name is Kaelie and I will be showing you around handsome," Kaelie says. She locks arms with mine and pulls me with her. Izzy and Alec look irritated that I am leaving them, but she's not giving me much choice. I am trying to be civil. Kaelie pulls me down a hallway and into a classroom.

"Thank goodness now that we're away from that nerd," Kaelie sighs.

"Like Izzy said earlier, my name is Jace. It's nice to meet you and all, but I've got to go to the office to get my schedule. Please kindly point me in that direction?" I reply. Kaelie walks out of the classroom and I follow her. We arrive at what looks to be the office. I see Izzy, Alec, and...Sam. I open the office door and Kaelie follows me.

"Thanks Kaelie," I say to be polite.

"We can do that again any time it was very pleasurable," Kaelie smiles and winks. What is she talking about? We went into a classroom, and I turned her down? How was that pleasurable?

"Here's your schedules," the secretary says as she hands us our schedules. Clary discreetly walks out of the office.

Kaelie walks past me and brushes her hand against my waist. I tense from her touch. What the heck is she doing?