Chapter 5: Vampire District

Beyond Our Titles (Sequel to The Alpha's Omega) [Boy/Boy]: Chapter 5: Vampire District

Lauren's POV

               The dark sky swirled around me, trapping me in its own little vortex. I had read about the different atmospheres in each district but I never imagined the sky would be pitch-black in the middle of the day. Vampires weren't supposed to be sensitive to the sun but nor did they like to tan. 

"Good morrow young one." A lady greeted as she passed me, continuing down the street with a small child at her heels. They dressed as if they were to meet Queen Victoria or one of her royal henchmen. 

"Good morrow." I smiled and ducked behind some bushes before anyone else saw me. Granted, I blended in just fine but I also did not want to draw attention to myself - seeing how I did not understand the customs such as saying 'Good morrow.' I wouldn't really find out anything useful sitting on the sidelines but I had promised Pyro that I wouldn't do anything else. 

               The Districts varied in construction: while the Demon District looked like a page out of a medieval magazine and the Shifter District looked like a Cherokee camp, the Vampire District was totally different. The buildings were taller with clockwork adoring the corners like artistry. Magnificent fountains stood proudly in the town square with water flowing down elegantly undisturbed. Children screamed as they ran through the streets, others on their tails in a game of tag. Mothers window-shopped as their impatient infants fussed. Fathers and gentlemen strode through the streets with briefcases in hand, ready for another day at work. Despite the sky being dark with no speck of sunlight in sight, it was surprisingly bright. 

               My stomach pulled as the sickly scent of blood filled the air. It was tangy like metal and sweet like copper. Vampires didn't need blood to survive; only a couple times a month would be enough to appease their hunger. Only the high class preyed nightly and even then, they had others fetch the nutrient-rich liquid for them. 

               On a street corner, a man begged for money. His face was sullen and his fingers bent and knarled. He held a sign and written on it was a language I didn't know. I crept sideways, sliding in between two high set buildings. No one had seen me yet and I wanted to keep it that way. I winced as the crack of a nearby whip filled my ears and a soft cry followed. I tore myself away before I dashed into the light, knowing I would surely give myself away then. 

"I swear, if you fucken utter one more word I'm going to tear your throat out!" I followed the harsh words, my heart beating loudly in my chest. "Do you hear me?!" The cacophonous noise came from a man. He was tall with slick blonde hair and piercing violet eyes. He wore a pristine trench coat and twenties styled slacks. One of his arms was slightly out stretched and in his hand was the dark, tangled hair of a familiar. 

               I pulled away again, running back down the diminutive alley with tears in my eyes. Niro had been at the other end of that man's hand, forced to his knees like some slave. Behind him, he held the hand of a younger boy - maybe ten years old at the most. I wanted to run over there and stop him but then I would have the whole Vampire District after me. "I'm sorry Niro." I whispered as guilt clenched at my chest. 

'Lauren? What are you doing here?!' I flinched at his voice. I hadn't heard it in my head for so long that it almost felt foreign to me. 

I flattened myself against a crumbling brick wall and drew in a breath. 'Nico told me you were missing and many other Specials have gone missing as well, so I figured you'd be here.' I quickly wiped the tears that streaked down my face, ashamed of the fact that I had been crying.