t w e n t y // s i x

"We're all monsters living in a dream." - The Maine

As Derrick lead me back into the party, I began to feel nauseous. My entire life had just been flipped on it's head. I wasn't even sure who played for what side anymore, including myself.

As we fastwalked towards the entrance, we bumped to Ash and Tori, who looked confused to see us leaving. "Where are you going?" Ash asked, grabbing my arm gently.

"Afterparty at Niall's. Meet us there?" I asked him earnestly.

"I think we're just going to go home." He frowned. "It's been a long day. Be home by two, okay? And be safe." Ash looked directly at Derrick when he said this.

"She's in good hands." Derrick said, his grip on my hand tightening.

"Certainly not if they're yours." Ash mumbled so quietly I was sure I was the only one who heard.

"Did you say something?" Derrick asked.

"Oh, no. Just have a good time is all." Ash gave him a grim smile. "I'll see you both later."

I could see Tripp and Ryder waiting for us by the front door. Derrick pulled me over to where they were standing, the friendly look that had been on his face when talking to Ash and Tori disintegrating.

"Took you long enough." He said to Ryder. "God, you're incompetent."

I looked at Ryder, expecting some sort of reaction, but it was like he hadn't even heard the comment. It broke my heart to think that he was probably used to hearing comments like this about himself, from his father, then Avery, and now his brother and Derrick.

"Well, we're here now." Tripp said impatiently. "What exactly is it you want us to do?"

"Are you armed?" Derrick asked quietly.

Tripp laughed, as if Derrick had said something funny. "Of course I am."

"Good." Derrick nodded. "Let's get going then."

We headed outside into the bitter chill, and I immediately began shivering. "God it's cold."

"Here." Ryder took off his suit jacket. "You can wear this."

Derrick looked at him like he was crazy. "No, take mine." He shrugged off his Hugo Boss tuxedo jacket, draping it across my shoulders. Ryder looked hurt, but all he did was put his jacket back on and keep quiet.

We got in the limo, where Derrick let out a sigh of relief, loosening his tie. "Thank god we're out of there, my mum's charity galas are so boring I want to shoot myself. Not to mention my idiot brother showing up out of nowhere."

"What I want to know is how Remy and Louis Tomlinson know one another." Said Tripp, taking a swig from a travel sized bottle of vodka.

"Ryder, I thought you and Remy were old buddies. How could you not know they knew each other?" Derrick frowned.

"I've met Remy a few times here and there when he was just making a name for himself, but i'm not surprised he knows Tomlinson. Who do you think sells him all that blow? Remy's the best in town when it comes to that." Ryder told him

"Speaking of blow," Tripp reached into the inner pocket of his jacket, producing a tiny clear baggie full of white powder. "Who wants some?"

"Fuck yeah." Said Derrick, reaching for his wallet and pulling out his black American Express credit card and a hundred dollar bill.

I started feeling anxious. "Ry, what about you?" Tripp asked his brother.

"Ummm," Ryder looked at me. I averted his gaze, tired of getting involved in everyone's drug problems. "Yeah sure, why not?" He said finally.