Chapter 19

The air outside was unusually sharp and cold. Petalpaw was well aware of the fact that leaf-fall had come early. The clan was already barely getting buy with all the new kittens that had come and it wasn't going to be getting any easier. Hunting patrols were now doubled and it seemed that there was a temporary truce between Nightclan and Sunclan for now.

"All those strong enough to hunt gather here beneath the high-rock." Called Spottedstar. Petalpaw gave a quick yawn and a stretch before she went over to the other cats.

"As some of you may know, there is a border camp outside of this main one, its named the Brightfield camp. These will become a regular part of our lives now to ensure everyone's safety here. Soon I will be adding a second camp. I have already talked about it with the deputy And other senior warriors. Currently their time at Brightfield is now up and they will be returning back to our main camp. But, there must be replacements for them! Anyone want to volunteer?" Spottedstar looked around but there there was no cat brave enough to accept his wishes.

"I will go," Petalpaw turned her head to see Sandfeather standing up, his bright and fluffy fur blowing in the wind. Spottedstar gave him a respectful nod and turned to see if anyone else wanted to go. However no one else said anything for a while and Spottedstar was getting tired of waiting.

"Very well, Sandfeather you will be the leader and you will take Frogfoot, Treefall, Coalpaw, Graypaw, Grassypaw, and Petalpaw with you. Ivyfang and Thistlepaw will help with your other needs as your primary focus right now is to keep our borders safe. After another two moons they will switch with seven other cats." Spottedstar felt a little dissatisfied but he shook it off and dismissed the clan.

Petalpaw looked around for the cats she would be spending all of her time with this moon. When she looked around she could see Frogfoot with a disappointed look in his eyes and what seemed like Treefall trying to cheer him up. As they finished talking she gave him a lick on the shoulder and headed towards Sandfeather.

She could understand his feelings thought because she was a bit disappointed also. Watch camp meant they would spend most of their time patrolling and marking the borders as well as making sure the camp was maintained properly. It was kind of like a mini clan which Petalpaw actually liked the idea of. She trotted over to the fresh-kill pile with new joy and picked up a small, scrawny water vole.

Petalpaw didn't usually eat much from the fresh-kill pile because She thought it wasn't fair to the rest of her clan mates. Infact she was quite skinny and it was easy to notice.

She quickly gobbled down the vole and headed towards the apprentice's den to say goodbye to her litter-mates. When she got there she poked her head inside to see Moonpaw and Mistypaw sharing tongues inside. When they realized someone was blocking the light coming into the den they looked up.

"Uh, hey I just came to give a quick farewell because I'm on my way to the watch camp." Petalpaw said a somewhat awkwardly. She walked over to her litter-mates And nuzzled them both.

"I'll ask Spottedstar if I can be one of the next suppliers," Mistypaw said with a smile.

"That would be nice," Petalpaw whispered half to herself. She walked out of the apprentices den and towards the medicine cat's den.

"Uh hey Meadowfoot, I came to get my herds," in watch camps they were each given a very basic set of herbs to use for the two moons they would be staying there. If they misused or mistreated their herbs they wouldn't be able to get any until the next restock which is every moon. Cat's on Watch camp also aren't allowed to go to gatherings.

Meadowfoot handed Petalpaw her herbs and gave her a kind smile.

"Alright, your all set," with this Meadowfoot spun around quickly and walked away happily. Not questioning Meadowfoot Petalpaw slowly walked out of the medicine cat's den with a bundle of herbs in her mouth. She headed towards a group of cat's near the entrance which were the other cat's going to Watch camp.