Chapter 15

"Gracie. Glad to see you back."

Dread seeped through her expression, visibly tensing upon hearing the voice speak, able to picture his stone cold stare piercing through her skull.

"Harry," she coughed awkwardly, forcing herself to turn to face the man, "where's Nigel?"

"He was sent off for an emergency mission."

"I see."

Gracie kept her eyes lowered, refusing to meet with the passive hazel ones that kept steady on her.

Silence consumed the room, none of the two speaking with one undoubtedly livid, and the other unable to respond to the overwhelming angered male.

"Well, am I right to assume this'll be the last time you'll pull off a stunt like this?"

"Unless I deem it to be utterly necessary, then yes, you are."

"Gracie," He glowered at the female, watching her resist shrinking from it, "I need you to promise me that you won't do something like that again."

She knew her next response would either start mending the minute amount of trust she had formed, or shatter it.

"I'm sorry Harry," she breathed, "but I can't make such a promise."

The man continued to stare at the female, masked anger bubbling within. She desperately wished to promise him, but she was no liar, nor was she going to break a promise.

"I see," he acknowledged curtly, "then please take no offence when security increases on you."

"Wouldn't dream of it," she sighed, "again, I'm sorry Harry, really."

"If you really are, I assume you'll do something to show it."

Hesitantly, she gave a meek nod of agreement, before quietly whispering, "are you disappointed?"

"I'm mildly disappointed, but not surprised. However, I had hoped you'd be stronger than to give into your instincts." Having said that, Harry swiftly left the room, the door clicking shut behind her.

She couldn't quite grasp the understanding as to why she was so hurt. Maybe it was the disappointment he projected, or the anger she could see, conflicted within him. Why was he angry to begin with? It trespassed the boundary of anger solely for betraying whatever trust there was. There was a tinge more to it, but she couldn't quite unravel it.

She merely met him a few times, insulted him once and constantly disrespected him. She should have been viewed as a mere pest in the organisation, incapable of contributing to the organisation, and yet it was evident he didn't. Perhaps it was how he treated her with more respect than she'd usually receive.

Emotions, what a wonder they were. Finicky, logic defying things they were.

"I'm sorry for my honesty" she mumbled to herself bitterly, jaw clenched as her lips quivered.

Harry, now walking away from Gracie's dorm, had the recent events reeling through his mind like a film. He had expected her to pull such a stunt, but hadn't accommodated the thought that she'd succeed so easily. It was a great relief that she had chosen to return, though he had a nagging feeling that it had only been for the sake of her valuables and her family relations.