Chapter 29 - Extraction

Denton squeezed off two rounds in rapid succession in the general direction of the front door and then retreated back to the living room for cover. Screams and curses erupted in the hallway outside the apartment as the uninvited guests scrambled to get out of the way. Behind him, Leah had pulled open the back door and opened fire at some target he couldn't see. Over the ringing in his ears, he heard muffled screams from somewhere below her which told him everything he needed to know. She glanced over at Denton and gave him a thumbs up. She pointed upwards towards the roof and nodded. It was time to go.

Without warning, another rain of bullets shredded the remainder of the front door. Plaster, wood splinters and other building materials exploded into the air as Denton dove behind a recliner for cover. A loud laugh erupted from the hallway as the bullets continued to fly. Then, as quickly as it had started, it stopped. There was a momentary silence before the leader of the crew in the doorway began talking again.

"There's no way out," the man shouted. "We've got the place surrounded. Come out with your hands in the air, or we're coming in. You've got ten seconds."

Denton looked at Leah. Her eyes were on the fire escape and the courtyard below, gun ready. He ran over to the kitchen where Sidney sat in a corner, knees to his chest, hands over his ears. His eyes were shut tightly. Denton grabbed his arm and pulled him to his feet.

"Sidney, we've got to go. They're picking us up in just a few minutes."

"Wha, what? Picking you up?"

"Yes, it's an emergency extraction. We've got to get to the roof, now."

"Are you out of your mind?" Sidney said and shook his arm free as he took a step backward. "I can't leave this place. I've got all my gear, all my stuff here. This is my life, man."

"You think they care?" Denton said and pointed over his shoulder with his gun. "Sounds like they're out for blood and I think they're more likely to look for a taste of yours if they can't get their hands on us."

"Nah, I don't think so. They're the protection around here. They watch out for us. "

"Do they? Sidney, do they really? Look at me, for crying out loud. It's not like they were too bothered about your door or your hallway. It's all shred to pieces. What makes you think you're not next when they don't find what they're looking for."

Sidney looked up at Denton, his eyes large, his face full of fear. His head shook vigorously, and he took another step back. "I'm not going."

"Ten," the man at the front door shouted. Denton heard snickering from the hallway. He couldn't for the life of him see the humor in their current predicament. Not that it mattered. They were running out of time. He grabbed Sidney by his collar and pulled his face just inches away from his. "Listen, whether you like it or not, those guys are coming in. I'm telling you, when they come in and we're not here, you're dead. Do you really want to take your chances with them?"

"But, but, my stuff?"

"Nine." Denton was thankful the bonehead in the hallway was counting slowly.

"What's more important, Sidney? Your stuff or your life? Besides, if Tanner can remote in here, why couldn't you?"

"Eight."

Sidney stared back at Denton for what seemed an eternity. Then, his demeanor changed. The fear evaporated, replaced with a rigid determination. He clenched his jaw and fists and nodded silently. Denton smiled and slapped him on the shoulder. "Good choice. Stay close. We don't have a lot of time." He turned and dashed into the living room, ignoring the descending counts coming from the front door.