Chapter 3 - Finding the Split

Aleskey and Slavko thought it would be fairly easy to track down the split part of the pride, as Slavko had some family bonds to some there. But the bonds went straight through mountains and over cliffs, that they had to go around.

It was the third moon since leaving, and while neither was willing to give up, both were getting discouraged, especially with the way they seemed to be in an area that had been overhunted.

A breaking of a branch was all the warning Aleskey had before another mixed-species pounced on him from the side. The force of the attack rolled him on his back and they growled as they grabbed his neck.

*Fabijan, stop!* Slavko shouted, showing his own teeth, *Aleskey is a friend!*

The other stopped his attack, but didn't let go, *Slavko? What are you doing here?* Fabijan said, a bit confused. He hadn't expected to ever see his friend again.

*We merged into the pack Aleskey was in a while ago.* Slavko told him, and passed the thoughts how those that had pushed, causing the rift and eventual split of their pride were now gone, and those that supported them or were prejudiced against the wolves were no longer with them. *Zinat has found her mate, and is now Alpha,* he told his old friend, passing on the description of her mate, and the fact he was spotted like a cat, but was a fair amount of wolf too.

Fabijan stepped off, backing down, giving the neck a lick in apology, before sniffing at his old friend. He rumbled his purr at his mute friend and started grooming each other a bit.

Aleskey rolled over and sat up, amused. He was still miffed on how easily he had been taken down. Sniffing the air, he could catch the pride-scent of Fabijan, and it was very similar to what Slavko had before he had joined them. After giving them some time to reacquaint themselves, he asked his packmate, *Maybe ask if we could be led to the pride? I assume we are on their territory?*

Slavko passed on the request, and it was passed up to the Pride Leader. After a bit, he replied, *It is being permitted, Aleskey. We are going to be shown in.* he paused, as he shook his fur, and started to follow Fabijan, being a translator. Slavko could hear Fabijan, since they were close friends, and the splitting of the pride hadn't broken the friendship.

It was a fair walk, and up a trail to a hidden cave, where they were greeted with rumbles by the guard there, before being permitted to enter. Heading back around a couple turns, it opened up into a large cave, where a fire burned low, keeping the coals hot, but not using much wood, and not making much smoke. It was being watched by one young member.

Aleskey nodded mentally, as their pack-fire was dealt with the same way. It was one duty that young members could do to gain discipline, as if they didn't treat the fire well, it would leave, and they would have to do all the work alone to restart it. It would also be less likely they would be trusted with such responsibility for a long time.

They had a member that had been tasked with keeping it going after they changed den sites and had fallen asleep. He was so good with fire, that before anyone else had been aware that the fire was dying, he had it relit. He had let the alpha know, but since he had rectified it, hadn't been punished. After that, that wolf had made sure to ask another to watch if he was on duty and couldn't stay awake. Aleskey himself, had taken it a couple of times, and had been gifted fresh rabbits or birds in thanks.

Cherice watched the two be led into the cave, *Come,* she called. *Tell me of my sister.*

Trading sniffs, as was polite, Aleskey snorted in surprise, before starting to purr, *My mate, how I longed to meet you.* he nuzzled the pride leader, who just stood there stunned.