Chapter 34: Cocoa with Cinnamon

PUMA'S BACK WITH AN UPDATE. This is late and unedited just like every other update but YAY here's something 😂

Emma's P.O.V:

Killian and I sit in a booth at Granny's diner, looking over our menus. Leia babbles beside me, playing with her little toys in the provided high chair.

This town is so sweet. It's quaint, safe, quiet, and pretty beautiful. I already know Killian loves it. He smelled the ocean a mile before we arrived and his face lit up immediately.

I crinkle my nose, an awful smell having wafted up into my face and look over at Leia with a sour expression.

"Uh oooh," she says softly, covering her eyes with her little hands.

I glance over at Killian with pleading eyes. He stares back just as adamantly.

I bust out the puppy dog move.

Killian laughs and shakes his head, standing up and lifting Leia up.

"How could I resist those eyes?" He asks endearingly, laying a kiss on my head. "I'll be right back. Let's get you changed, princess," he says to Leia, heading to the bathroom with the baby bag.

I smile, watching Killian walk off as he rubs his nose against her little one. But suddenly, my smile is shifting into a frown. I could've had that with Henry.

You did what you had to. He wouldn't have had a good life if you kept him, I think to myself.

And that's true. But it doesn't change the fact that I did exactly what I told myself I'd never do growing up. Being in the foster system until I was kicked out, I always told myself I would never abandon my kid if I had one. That I'd never let my own child wonder why his mother didn't want him and sent him away.

But I did. I gave him up.

I remember all the endless nights. The beds were uncomfortable, the rooms were cold. I'd just lay in bed night after sleepless night, staring up at the ceiling. Thoughts would go through my mind, each a possibility of why I was given up. As I grew older, I stopped being sad about it. I was just angry. Angry that my parents hadn't even bothered bringing me to the hospital when I was born. Angry because of the life they condemned me to.

How can I expect Henry to forgive me and embrace me as a part of his life if I haven't even forgiven my own parents?

Then again, they never cared enough to try and find me... I think.

"Two cocoas with cinnamon please," someone says, sitting across from me in the booth.

I shake out to my daze and look up to find-

"Henry?! What are you doing here?" I ask, confused.

"Hi Emma" he smiles widely.

"Kid, why aren't you in school?!" I ask, my eyes wide. "And where's your mother? She's going to kill me. Then you. Then me again."

"She thinks I'm at school. She dropped me off at the bus stop and left. Something about a city council meeting," Henry shrugs. "So, what are we doing today?"

I open my mouth, stammering as I look for a response.

Just then, saving me from my loss of words, Killian returns with a freshly cleaned Leia in his arms.

"And we're back," Killian says in a playful baby voice, not noticing Henry. 

"Mama!" Leia giggles, reaching out for me.

"Is that my sister? Cool!" Henry exclaims, rushing over to look at her.

Killian looks down at me, surprised, and with a question in his eyes. I nod, confirming that this is Henry.

"Are you my dad?" Henry asks, confused.

"Eh, sorry lad, but I'm afraid not," Killian answers awkwardly.

"Here are your cocoas," Ruby smiles, bringing them over.

I raise my eyebrow at Henry.

"You gonna pay for that, kid?" I ask him with a smirk.

"Uh... hehe," he laughs nervously.

"Relax, I'm kidding. Seriously though, you need to go to school. Now. Before your mom finds out you were with me without her knowing..." I mutter.

"You're my real mom," Henry sighs.

"Henry..." I start. While I love that he seems to be okay with me being here and hasn't shown any signs of resentment yet, he can't just pretend his adoptive mom doesn't exist. Regina raised him his whole life. I'm the one barging in, so if anything, Regina is his real mother.

"Fine, I'll go to school. Will you at least walk me?" Henry pleads.

"Your mom will kill me if she sees me."

Henry pulls out his own puppy dog eyes. Guess that runs in the family.

"Oh come on," I groan.

"I'm just trying to spend time with you!" he grins, hopping up as if I've agreed.

"Oh that is really not fair," I answer, shaking my head as I get up. "Just... wait outside, okay? I'll be right there."

I turn to Killian apologetically, but he only smiles.

"Well? What are you waiting for?" he smiles, kissing me gently. "Leia and I will be touring this gem of a town. You just go be with your boy while you can, and meet us back at the docks, yeah?" he soothes.

I nod, resting my head against his chest. Killian sets Leia down in the highchair to give me a proper hug, the pushes me gently to the door.

"Tell me everything when you get back," he smiles.

With that, I leave the diner and find Henry waiting.

We start to walk together in a comfortable silence. Henry glanced up at me with an inquisitive look every now and then, but I guess that's just what curious ten-year-olds are like.

"So, we need to give you a code name," Henry says suddenly.

"What?"

"If you're gonna break this curse, we can't have my mom finding out. Operation Cobra has to stay a secret," Henry says like it's the most normal thing in the world.

"Mind explaining what the hell you're talking about?" I ask, looking down at him. Henry sighs and rolls his eyes as if he's already explained this a thousand times.

"I told you, the book. All the people in this town are the characters in it. They're trapped here and because of my mom, the Evil Queen," Henry says eagerly.

"Uhuh," I reply. "Okay, I'll play. Who's he supposed to be?" I ask, pointing to a tall man with thin red hair, glasses, and a Dalmatian on a leash.

"That's Jimminy Cricket," Henry replies matter-of-factly.

"Isn't he supposed to be, oh I don't know, a cricket?" I ask.

Henry scowls.

"It's a curse."

"Fine, let's say you're right. What if I go up there and say 'hey Jimminy!' Think he'll answer?"

Henry shakes his head.

"He won't. Nobody will because they don't remember who they are."

"Well that's convenient," I mumble.

"So?" Henry asks.

"What?"

"What's your code name?"

"Well- I don't- you can just call me Emma," I laugh nervously.

"Okay Emma," Henry smiles, taking my hand. "Will you pick me up after school?"

"Uh, I don't know, kid. I think we pushed it with me dropping you off."

"Okay," he smiles. "Bye Emma!"

I watch him as he runs off to the school and smile. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.