Chapter 13: There Is No Pretending

Golden sunlight streamed in through the single window in Ember's room. She had been awake since five in the morning not only because sleep couldn't seem to find her, but her baby had also been restless all night, no doubt because he sensed Ember's own discomfort. Where the sky had been an explosion of light colors a few hours before, it was now a clear blue hue- the exact color that Jacob's eyes were.

Ember sighed and tore her gaze away from the window, only to find the golden bracelet winking at her from her vanity table every time the sunlight hit it. Starkweather meowed and lept out of her arms in one graceful movement. He landed on her vanity table with a muted thud and cautiously sniffed at the bracelet.

Deciding that a shower would probably make her feel better, Ember got into the shower and came back out in a record time of twenty minutes.

She knew what she had to do.

She dressed quickly and wove her hair into a long French braid. Starkweather meowed and rubbed himself against her legs, so she poured some kibble into his bowl. She headed towards to door, ready to leave.

She finally had her answer. She knew what she was going to tell Jacob, but there was still one person she had to talk to to be completely sure.

However, she hesitated by the door and looked back. The bracelet still lay in its place. Ember hurried back and swiped the bracelet off the table, shoving it in the pocket of her cardigan with one hand as she closed the door to her room behind her with the other.

Alec Lightwood ran past her at the same time. His pale skin glistened with a thin sheen of sweat and his black hair was plastered to his face, but his blue eyes were bright and alive.

It was perfect timing.

"Alec!" she called out, and the boy skidded to a stop when he heard her voice. Ember waddled over to him as fast as she could. He looked at her quizzically.

"You look terrible," he said, but not in a mean way at all. It was merely an observation.

"I've had better days," Ember admitted. "What about you? Not that I'm complaining, but you seem unnaturally happy this morning."

Alec grinned, and his blue eyes lit up when he did. Ember thought it suited him.

"I beat Jace at hand-to-hand combat," he said proudly.

Ember smiled. "Now there's something to be proud of. I would drink to that, but I'm neither twenty-one or in the right condition to drink."

Alec laughed. The sound was like a cross of a sneeze and a cough, and Ember joined him in his laughter, but stopped abruptly when she remembered why she called him over.

"Alec," she began in a solemn tone of voice, "When it came down to it...what made you sure that choosing Magnus was the right thing to do?"

"I was sure because I loved him," he said without hesitation. "I didn't know it back then, but some part of me had to, and it was quite obvious what Magnus's feelings were towards me."

Ember's hand flew to the rings around her neck. "Do you- do you regret it?"

Alec smiled and shook his head. "No."

That was all Ember needed to know.

"Thanks, Alec. That's all I needed to know."

She gave him a quick hug and turned the other way before he could ask any questions.

She waddled back to her room, shut the room, and walked towards the window. Starkweather, who was now sleeping on the windowsill, opened one bleary golden eye and settled back to sleep.