20 ~ Hades

Hades woke early while Lexi slept on, exhausted by an infant with a rigorous feeding schedule. When she finally rose to take brunch, Hades was already brooding in his study. He couldn't stop thinking about Melinoe's malicious prank. Lexi had not talked about the tree since their visit to the grove, but the subject was far from exhausted. Melinoe would face judgment whether she admitted to her crime or not.

But, what would be her penance? Hades could not ban her from the underworld. It was her home. And he couldn't send her down the Lethe in a punt. Or could he? Was it wrong to entertain such a punishment? Melinoe's tragic history with the Lethe could dredge up some unpleasant demons, but he was at his wit's end with the witch.

A burst of warmth from the fire brushed Hades's skin, and he knew his tortured thoughts had caused it. He set down his glass of Glenlivet and leaned over the hearth, calming the flames. Was that Lexi's lemon verbena scenting the air? When had she visited the study? The scrying mirror chimed, but Hades continued to sniff the air, knowing the voice of a nymph would follow.

"Your grace?" Lacy called through the speaking tube.

"Yes."

"Kade is at the scrying mirror."

"Thank you."

Hades pushed up from his chair and walked to the oblong mirror on his wall, enlivening the glass with his fingertips and revealing the image of his son. "Hello, Kade. I assume you're calling because your mother has accused me of some injustice."

"That was part of it. I also called to offer my sympathies to Lexi, but she didn't want to be disturbed. So, I thought I would disturb you."

"It's just as well. Lexi is still recovering. She only got out of bed an hour ago."

Kade grinned. "I'll try not to take it personally. So, tell me about this spirit invasion you had at the palace. Sounds like a real shit-kicker. I'm sorry I missed it."

"Well, it scared the shit out of Juniper. The Bonsai tree that Elm gave Lexi was enchanted with magic. First, the lanterns exploded, spewing glass and sparks everywhere. Then spirits popped out like genies from a bottle. It was bloody chaos for a while."

"It sounds like Melinoe's handiwork. I thought she was on a righteous path. She called me swearing she's been wrongly accused."

"She's refusing to take the blame, but the evidence is stacked against her. We know she's been luring spirits through magical means. Ink and Charon have spotted rogues dashing off into the woods, and Lars reported seeing a spirit in the field while Melinoe and Elm performed ceremony."

"So, she's not as clever as everyone makes her out to be."

"Oh, she's plenty clever, but jealously is her Achilles heel. I'm just trying to decide a fitting punishment for an unrepentant goddess. I'm thinking of a trip down the Lethe. That might set her on a truly righteous path."

Kade's eyes grew wide. "You're not serious, are you?"

Hades picked up his scotch and tipped a mouthful over his lips, swallowing in one scorching gulp. "I don't know...maybe. If you had seen the pain on Lexi's face when she stood in front of her tree, you would make sure she never feels that pain again."

The faint scent of lemon verbena tickled Hades's nose and he lifted it in the air. "There it is, again," he whispered.

"There's what again?"

"Lemon verbena. I keep smelling it in my study, but only Lexi wears it, and I don't think she's been in here for days."

"Maybe it was embedded in the upholstery from the last time she was there."

"No. It's coming to me on a breeze. Like she's walking past me."

"Well, spirits can bring their scents with them to the underworld. Maybe you're smelling one of them."

"But lemon verbena? What are the odds of that? It's not a popular flavor."

"Flavor?" Kade grinned wryly. "Maybe the spirit brushed up against Lexi and carried her scent around the palace."

"We didn't find any spirits in my study, but it's possible I missed one."

"How many were there?"

"Twelve."

"Ah-ha! There's your answer," Kade said, looking triumphant. "Melinoe only works in odd numbers. She would have gone with eleven or thirteen. Chances are, you have a rogue spirit loose in the palace brushing against your wife."

Kade laughed at his joke, but Hades only scowled. A spirit would have to be clever and experienced to evade Hades's keen senses, and clever spirits caused trouble, or worse, wreaked havoc. "Let me get back to you, Kade. I need to put the palace on alert."

"Don't forget to put someone in charge of the wine cellar. I remember the last spirit you entertained didn't approve of intoxicating beverages and relieved you of a case of Bordeaux."

Hades grumbled as he waved Kade's face away, making for the door. Chances were, this spirit was not of the bewildered, recently-deceased sort, which increased the chances for havoc. He needed to protect Lexi and the children, not his collection of Bordeaux. When Hades entered his bedchamber, he found a sleeping babe and Sella, who stood at the table cleaning up Lexi's brunch dishes.

"Sella, stay on your toes," he said as he stalked to his wardrobe. "We have a rogue spirit in the palace."

Sella's bright green eyes rounded to saucers, and she nearly spilled her tray. "Oh, dear. Did you see him?"

"No, but I sensed him." Hades pulled a sash from the hook in his wardrobe and thought about Sella's question. Then he captured the nymph in his lordly gaze. "What makes you think it's a him?"

Sella shrugged as she walked carefully to the door, balancing her full tray. "I just assumed, sire. It's the boys who get into the most mischief."

"I will agree with you on that, only if you agree that nymphs keep a close second. Where can I find Lexi and the children?"

"The children are taking lessons with Fiona, and I am not certain about Lady Lexi. Should I look for her?"

"No, I'll look for her. But, please, alert the others."

Hades saw Sella to the door, then he made for Lexi's sitting room. If his instincts were correct, he would find her there, relaxing with a book. He hated to disturb her contemplative time, but lost souls were serious business. Some were downright psychotic. The last thing he wanted was for Lexi to endure more trauma at the hands of a spirit with ill intent.