8

"Manal?" Saeed called.

Manal heard her father's voice and dropped the broom instantly. She ran up to him and he picked her up, kissing her head, before walking towards Nafisa with her in his arms.

Nafisa was too afraid to even speak as Saeed approached her. Did he hear what she told Manal to do? She knew Saeed didn't like her from the first day he saw her and would find reasons to fire her from her job.

"What is going on here?" He questioned, his gaze darting around.

"Welcome, sir." Nafisa greeted, nervously. She couldn't read Sa'eed's expression and that didn't help at all.

"Thank you. I asked a question." he reminded.

"It's nothing at all..." Nafisa answered. She was thankful he didn't see what was going on when he stepped in. She heaved a sigh of relief - she was saved.

"She asked me to sweep the floor." Manal interjected.

Nafisa's eyes widened. The little witch was going to expose her.

Saeed looked at her questionably.

"I wanted to do it myself, but Manal kept on insisting I give her the broom, because she created the mess and I did." Nafisa lied. She could only wish Manal would not expose her.

Immediately Nafisa saw Manal opening her mouth to speak, she knew she was going to counter her, so she quickly thought of something to say to divert their minds from the present topic. "Manal's mother is not back from work " she said the first thing that came to her mind. She mentally face palmed. Even to her ears, it sounded absurd.

Saeed gazed at her. He must already know she wouldn't be back till evening. "I know," he replied curtly and walked away with Manal still in his arms.

With a flagitious demeanor, Nafisa rolled her eyes.

'~~~~~~

Sa'eed unlocked the door to his room and went in, dropping Manal in their bed. "How was school, baby?" He inquired, taking a sit beside her.

"It was fine," she replied, searching for his cell phone in his briefcase.

He chuckled. "What are you looking for?"

"Phone." She replied.

"It isn't there." He pulled it out of his pocket and handed it to her. "Here."

"Thank you, abi."

"What did you do in school today?" He inquired.

"Hand writing and drawing." she answered.

"Only?" He asked.

She nodded, totally engrossed in the game she was playing.

Sa'eed took a peep at what she was busy with and found out she was playing subway surfers with the sound turned off. "Have you prayed zuhr?" He inquired.

"No." she answered nonchalantly.

He furrowed his brows at that."Why haven't you prayed?"